Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Votes: 17 100.0%

• Total voters

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Perhaps this question is obvious.

I'm about to build a gaming rig, i already have the quad core q6700 extreme for video editing, but i'm not sure whats good for games anymore, been out of the loop for almost a year now.

These are the two i am looking at.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz $209.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103191

or

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz $277.99
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819115017

Which is better, i have no idea on this one.

I obviously know the inherent positives for the quad, better multitasking etc.... but the amd has two cores which are both almost 1ghz faster.

But the intels overall power in 4 is far faster for programs that can utilize it.

unleashed, what made you get the 8800gts over other v/cards? and how well does your rig run, are you happy with the motherboard?

The 8800 GTS is the best value for the money on the market right now

The 6850 is a good option. If you are going multi-threaded, as most applications are now (most games are being developed with the Xbox360 as the development system and that has 3 cores), you would likely be better off getting the 6600. But, there is no real tangible difference between the 6600 or 6850.

unleashed, what made you get the 8800gts over other v/cards? and how well does your rig run, are you happy with the motherboard?

As said, it's the best value for money. The GTX would be nice, but the GTS has no problems at all handling anything I throw at it.

My rig is perfectly stable, the motherboard has been fantastic. It runs very cool and I haven't encountered a single problem since getting it.
Current temperatures on stock air cooling:

GPU memory: 46
GPU ambient: 43
CPU: 36
MOBO: 37

I play Company of Heroes, Battlefield 2, Medal of Honor Airborne and World of Warcraft all at 1280 x 960, with everything on full, and always get a minimum of 30fps. Never had a hitch yet. And I got 10067 in 3DMark06.

Seriously, if you follow my build to the tee you will not disappointed - I know I'm not!

i may not following it completely, but i'll certainly use it as a benchmark.

Dude, if you're getting a GTS, why not save some bucks and buy a 2900pro and overclock it, comfortably, to 2900XT levels and enjoy?

I am wary of the lower_than_GTX cards due to the irritating texture evict issue that still remains unresolved after a year.

Sigh...

I hate constantly disagreeing with you Sazar, While I don't doubt that the 2900 Overclocked is a competitor of the 8800 series. It is a hassle, it generates more heat, and uses more power. The 8800 is guaranteed to perform well out of the box with the latest drivers, run at a nice temp (assuming you have good case flow) and not break the bank at the end of the month when you see your power bill. Additionally, the texture evict issue only plagues a small handful of people and of course the squeaky gear gets the most attention. I have had my 640 GTS since last Nov. and I have not had any such issues.

Perhaps, if you are willing to wait till the end of the month you can pickup a new 8800 GTS with 112SP instead of the 96 they come with now. Its going to be a silent launch so you wont hear much about it.

The new 2900's are 65nm process. Generate less heat and are more overclockable.

I know two guys who have a 2900Pro running beyond XT specs and are running cool.

intel vs amd conversation going the nvidia vs ati route for some reason !?!?!?

go with the quad core unless you are getting a motherboard to support the new 1333 FSB. There isn't a tangible benefit to the faster FSB compared to the 1066 Q6600 but it just depends on what motherboard you choose,

comparing that to the amd is no contest. Also GHz is pointless to look at unless you are looking at the same architecture, intel vs intel or amd vs amd.

Sigh...

I hate constantly disagreeing with you Sazar, While I don't doubt that the 2900 Overclocked is a competitor of the 8800 series. It is a hassle, it generates more heat, and uses more power. The 8800 is guaranteed to perform well out of the box with the latest drivers, run at a nice temp (assuming you have good case flow) and not break the bank at the end of the month when you see your power bill. Additionally, the texture evict issue only plagues a small handful of people and of course the squeaky gear gets the most attention. I have had my 640 GTS since last Nov. and I have not had any such issues.

I spend a lot of time on NvNews, the texture evict issue thread is one of the biggest there and it keeps getting bigger. If it is just a small handful of people, your definition of "small handful" is very different from mine :)

Also, the 2900pro consumes less power at idle and a little more at full speed. When OC'd, it will consumer a little more power at full speed, but the same at idle as the un-oc'd 2900pro due to the clocks being the same.

Also, the 2900pro is guaranteed to perform well out the box with the latest drivers too :)

Perhaps, if you are willing to wait till the end of the month you can pickup a new 8800 GTS with 112SP instead of the 96 they come with now. Its going to be a silent launch so you wont hear much about it.

The g92 is intriguing but if it also has a 256bit bus, as it is supposed to, that will be a slight handicap v/s the 320 and higher that the current higher end products have.

The only issue I have with the 2900XT is the OpenGL drivers.

Having switched to the 8800GTX I'm not having any issues what so ever. Incidentally the GTX is a dream card :D

Additionally, toms hardware benchmarks the 2900's (either one) way below the 8800's (either one).

Is this false, is there somewhere that can show that the 2900 is faster?

Additionally, toms hardware benchmarks the 2900's (either one) way below the 8800's (either one).

Is this false, is there somewhere that can show that the 2900 is faster?

The Pro and XT should be about the same as the GTS 320 and 640 respectively. There will be a back and forth tussle if you take a blend of all the sites.

There is a chart that Mike Chambers on NvNews releases once in a while which takes the average win/loss numbers from the main sites and charts it. Gives a good idea of which card is doing what in which game. :cool:

:dead: since we are stuck on the ati vs nvidia debate... :dead:

is there really any way to lose this battle. You are going to get great performance out of either card you get. Some games do better on some and some on the others. It's what you feel comfortable with spending and buying , but you really aren't going to lose if you choose either one.

This isn't the days of the 9700 pro vs Nvidia 58xx/59xx.

It's great to be a card buyer right now, :dead:

Well Intel or AMD processor depends your own feelings as much as any benchmarks for them, though price should be a factor.

Now for the video card debate, ATi is a division of AMD for what's that worth. Now just like the processors its a choice which brand you like over the one, benchmarks etc are all good and well but don't always reflect the way you use it, nor the games etc you play and again price should be a factor.

Me I would most likely go with Intel and nVidia but AMD/ATi can be just as good

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back