AMD vs. Celeron

R

Rooster77

Here is my Dilemna, got to get a cheap system for my parents who suddenly at the age of 65 decided it is time to surf the net....lol...anyway, not even sure if they will have the patience for a PC and not just chuck the thing into the lake....so I have been looking at some budget PC's just to get them surfing...for around the $500 mark I have been finding systems with:
a) AMD 1400+
b) Celeron 1.7Ghz

Which processor would be the better one to go with...they will not be gaming at all!!

Thanks.

Why not a AMD Duron...?
They come pretty cheap too, and as you said, they will not do any gaming..so it a good choice...:happy:

if all they are going to do is go on the web and send email. Then does it really matter? I would just go with which ever one saves you money, and easy upgrades if needed. Between the two since performance is not an option, I dont see a reason to worry about it. So find a cheap motherboard for both processors that has fair enough upgrades (if needed). and see where you go from there.

i would even look at some used systems ...may find something in the 100 - 200$ range ...no sense spending money to find out they wanna use it to hold a door open after a couple weeks

Originally posted by Jewelzz
:eek: here we go again

?

effectively if the 2 processors are the same price than I would probably go with the athlon... more cache... therefore certain arithmetic based operations are faster...

however I do agree with the other people about buying a cheapy 1 ghz system and higher...

thats about the min you would need to get on the web and check mail and stuff... and both amd and intel have nice cheap solutions...

places like dell selll complete system (incl monitor) for 499 onwatds... this incls a 1.7ghz celeron, 128mb ddr, 30gb hard drive, ms win XP home integrated nic, monitor and so on so forth and integrated graphics...

a decent price... for a new system... but you can buy a used system for less..

Because you don't care about gaming performance I suggest you go with the Celeron. It runs much cooler than the AMD and that means you get a much quieter computer. If you want to surf and perhaps listen to some music you don't want a big fan buzzing in the background, do you?

So, Celeron, a silent harddisk (Seagate), a cheap motherboard with builtin LAN and sound and maybe graphics, 256 MB RAM and Windows XP Home will make you happy. :)

Originally posted by Zedric
Because you don't care about gaming performance I suggest you go with the Celeron. It runs much cooler than the AMD and that means you get a much quieter computer. If you want to surf and perhaps listen to some music you don't want a big fan buzzing in the background, do you?

So, Celeron, a silent harddisk (Seagate), a cheap motherboard with builtin LAN and sound and maybe graphics, 256 MB RAM and Windows XP Home will make you happy. :)

hence my suggestion for the dell system :)

btw... his parents... not him... :)

also my computer runs MUCH quieter than my room-mates 2.0 ghz p4... all air cooled...

Yeah, but I don't like brand computers. :)

Oh, his parents, yeah, them too. :)

Well, Sazar, maybe your friend has crappy fans? :p

Originally posted by Zedric
Yeah, but I don't like brand computers. :)

Oh, his parents, yeah, them too. :)

Well, Sazar, maybe your friend has crappy fans? :p

:)

offering best option I can think of..

operating system... hard drive... memory... monitor... all that stuff for 499 (plus tax) ? includes modem and NIC... thats a good option... if basic surfing and word processing and stuff is what is required.. thats a good option...

-note- my m8 does not have crappy fans :) he has a sony vaio.. top of the line...

look at the best combination of hardware for price.......the larger drive and more memory say........

but heres another thought, and maybe more importiant........ if its for your parents, and its somewhere else than you, maybe they live a ways away.... which has a better warranty and service plans if something goes wrong will be better on you..........

i know my father has just enough knowledge and curiosity to be dangerous and messes stuff up ofter cause he just cant leave some stuff alone. used to use computers on his job 20 years ago and doesn't understand things are done differently now........

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back