AMD True Speed??

S

Sm|th 6th

A freind is buying a comp and the guy selling it to him is feeding him this line about AMD processors. I just want to know (as does he) if it is true or not:

If an AMD is labeled 1.2 on the chip... is that only for a certain type of RAM? this guys says it will run 1.2 with sdram but will jump to 1.5 with DDR Ram. To me that sounds a little shaddy, the processor is the processor what does it have to do with the Ram as far as its speed.

The guy is buying the comp tonight..so any help would be appreciated..

thx all

if the chip is marked as 1.2 that's how fast it runs.

You would get this by having a clock multiplier of 9x133

If it were a duron it would be 12x100

Now, the 100 and 133 also affect memory. so if you have 133mhz memory then you can use an athlon. if you have 100 mhz then you use a duron.

You can use 100mhz memory on an athlon but you would have to run it 100mhz so you would get 9x100 = 900mhz

is that really what the person selling him the computer said, cos if he did i wouldn't buy a computer from there, god knows what he will end up with! :p

Thx guys for the quick response... I appreciate it and so will he

god I love this forum :D

hey if ur mate won't 2 get conned y not?,guess wot he's goin 2 try +sell u next?.......yup some ddr 2 make ur computer procesor faster when all it's really doin is improvin performance

Originally posted by henyman
hey if ur mate won't 2 get conned y not?,guess wot he's goin 2 try +sell u next?......
??? i barely get any sense out of that ???

hey guy's i'm ****** up i can't help it!:(

Originally posted by Syrus
is that really what the person selling him the computer said, cos if he did i wouldn't buy a computer from there, god knows what he will end up with! :p

Sounds like a certain computer shop in the UK cant name it cuz I worked there :D but they had about 150 to 200 stores nation wide. and they are "Always stamping down prices" if u watch the ads u know who I meen :D lol

ok..when confronted the guy selling the comp said the following:

the frontside bus of the mainboard is 133 but the ram is sdram pc100 So he said he lowered the frontside bus to 100 so there wouldn't be ram errors. Thus the 1.5 went down to 1.2 ... he says if you put in ddr ram or any ram with 133 clock speed then you can raise the frontside bus back up. Does this sound possible??

My opinion is that it wouldn't matter and you could leave the frontside bus at 133 even with the pc100 ram. Plus if you really did that couldn't you just raise the clock multiplier back up for example : 133x11.5 gives you roughly 1500 so if you lower fsb to 100 just raise multiplier to 100x15 gives you 1500 still... right??

Originally posted by mafia-man

Sounds like a certain computer shop in the UK cant name it cuz I worked there :D but they had about 150 to 200 stores nation wide. and they are "Always stamping down prices" if u watch the ads u know who I meen :D lol

PC "Globe" ;)

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back