News AMD to deliver driver updates over Steam

With today’s exciting announcement from AMD and Valve®, Steam gamers will never again have to worry about finding the most recent ATI Catalyst™ graphics driver. PC gamers can now detect and install the latest ATI Catalyst™ driver for their ATI Radeon™ graphics card directly from within Steam! Gamers using ATI graphics will not only be kept posted on the latest available drivers for their hardware, but with every update they’ll know that they’re getting the overall best possible gaming experience AMD and Valve can provide.

Here at AMD we’re big fans of Steam, and it’s not hard to see why! (And it would appear 25 million people love it just as much as we do.) In five short years, Valve has evolved the Steam platform to become the preeminent destination for easy and fast access to the latest games and online multiplayer play, offering new features to gamers and to developers, taking PC gaming to new heights – and new audiences. This evolution of PC gaming means exciting times for PC gamers, and today’s announcement is another step in that evolution.

AMD and Valve teaming up to make sure that Steam gamers always have the most recent drivers for their graphics cards is just another way that we are showing our commitment to the promise we developed in our Gamers’ Manifesto.

The first ATI Catalyst driver update that will be available via Steam will be ATI Catalyst 10.9.

:source: Source: AMD Executive Blog

That is awesome! It only seems like a couple of years ago that people were hugely sceptical of Steam but it's really coming out with some incredibly good features now. I just wish it would replace that ill thought-out 'Games for Windows' rubbish!

That is awesome! It only seems like a couple of years ago that people were hugely sceptical of Steam but it's really coming out with some incredibly good features now. I just wish it would replace that ill thought-out 'Games for Windows' rubbish!

It basically has, but like with so many things MS is late to find out.

There is one upside to GFW badging, in order to obtain the license to market your game as a GFW title you need to support widescreen gaming out of the box and support an xbox 360 controller via USB among other things. Those two things though are quite important to a number of people. I personally don't care about the controller part, but having mandatory widescreen support is a big plus.

I hear what you're saying Aprox, but in all honesty I've not come across a non-widescreen game for years. Have you come across many?

Standardisation of PC games is a good thing though, I agree with you there.

There is one upside to GFW badging, in order to obtain the license to market your game as a GFW title you need to support widescreen gaming out of the box and support an xbox 360 controller via USB among other things. Those two things though are quite important to a number of people. I personally don't care about the controller part, but having mandatory widescreen support is a big plus.

Don't always have to support both of these....Bioshock 2 is a GFWL title and does not support 360 controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back