AMD sudden temp increase need help!!!

M

mafia-man

My bro's CPU temp has all of a sudden sky rocketed i've checked every fan and they all work perfectly I replaced the CPU heatsink and fan with another unit and still extreamly high temps. Both heatsinks and fans work fine in other machines though.

The CPU is an AMD Durron 1.1 GHz (not o/c) running on an Abit KX7-333.

Need to get this fixed soon cuz bro's temper is running hotter than the CPU!! :p

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks guys

If they both work fine in other machines, I would say it would have to be the board reporting temperatures incorrectly or the heatsink isn't mounted correctly. The former seems improbable though since the temps were reading correctly before. Just triple check that the heatsink is mounted correctly because I really doubt it could be anything else. Good luck with your brother :)

The heatsinks were mounted correctly but the temp increase came without ne 1 messing inside the comp 1 day it was fine the next time it was turned on the temp shot up

Hmmm, are you sure nothing is putting load on the cpu in the background? Other than that, I have no idea. Maybe someone else can help....

Originally posted by mafia-man
My bro's CPU temp has all of a sudden sky rocketed i've checked every fan and they all work perfectly I replaced the CPU heatsink and fan with another unit and still extreamly high temps. Both heatsinks and fans work fine in other machines though.

The CPU is an AMD Durron 1.1 GHz (not o/c) running on an Abit KX7-333.

Need to get this fixed soon cuz bro's temper is running hotter than the CPU!! :p

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks guys

what temps are we talking about ?

it might just be a bad diode... you might want to consider getting another temp measuring utility and see if it is reporting the same temps..

other than that.. if the hsf is seated properly and fans are working well and thermal paste is applied properly... I don't know what might be causing the problems for you..

Originally posted by mafia-man
Temps are 65+ deg C with little load

WOW :eek:

ok that is a touch on the HIGH side...

I have setup my rig to post warnings or not boot if the temp goes above 50C... so that would literally FRY my system...

what sort of heatsink are you using ?

I put my zalman round the opposite way to what it was designed since it was easier for me to stick on :D but the copper vein was not in contact.. it was the aluminium part and there is a section that is hollowed out... my temps shot up on boot to over 50c... and BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP cpu warning messages galore :)

I swtiched it round (not happy since it was easier to install one way than the other) and now my on load temp is below 40C...

whats the other heat sink you have tried using ?

consider trying underclocking the beastie and trying to run tests and see if everything IS properly seated/using enough thermal paste/plugged in proper one more time... eevn though you have done it already...

perhaps proper contact is not being made with the heatsink... check the little heatsink mounts (the 4 rubber stubby thingers on the socket) and see if any has a prob... and make SURE that the hsf's bottom is sitting flush with the cpu (don't put pressure though... no point in crushing the core)

if temps are still high consider lapping the hsf's bottom...

just going through a check list here btw... :) no need to actually do ALL the work but its nice to work by process of elimination..

run the computer with the side open and feel the side of the HSF @ 65+ degrees cel. its going to be really hot to the touch, (like burn you type hot not just warm) if its not then the thermal diode under the cpu is screwy and just don't worry about it.

Hey, I've experienced the high temps on my AMD CPU recently. Had to lower the FSB to reduce the clockspeed of the CPU. This lowered the temp by about 20C from 67C to about 46C.

I have a feeling that the weather may have something to do with the rise in the temp since it does become more humid during the summer.
I've noticed the temps running at around 63-75C last summer on my older machine that's why i've decided to lower the clockspeed each summer to keep the temp low.

My PC is fine though no increase in temperature. tried Krux's test and the heatsink is indead rather cool so I guess the mobo is FUBAR

Actually if your cpu is that hot, the heatsink will be cool to touch because it means heat isn't being transferred to your heatsink properly. It is good to have a warm heatsink, you know its doing its job properly...Touching your heatsink isn't really a good indication of the temps of your cpu though, I'd go and buy a thermal probe if all else fails.

thats not entirely true my volcano 11 is cool to the touch and my temps come from the die of the cpu not from a thermal diode

Well as I said, touching the heatsink isn't really a good indication. When you think that your skin temperature is probably around 38 C, your cpu won't be too much more than that, and so your heatsink will be around your skin temp....

Ahhh celsius. Too damn compressed.

1). 65 C is 150 deg F. You can definitely feel that.

All the exposed heatsink is aluminum. Aluminum is weird stuff it does not feel hot to the touch the way other metals do. I found this out at work pulling aircraft electronics out of temeprature testing ovens. The chasis are aluminum. (Warning the connectors are nickel cadmium and hot as hell!)

Options for touch test:
If you can get at it, feel the under side of the MB, under the cpu, if CPU is 68 C then it will be surprisingly warm. Compare it to the CPU in your system.

or

Turn the system off and pull the heatsink right away. The CPU will still be very hot. This is how I found out the heatsink retaining clip was on backwards on a new system. It made the heatsink sit kockeyed on the chip. Looked ok but heatsink was not really pressed on the chip properly, all the force was on one side. Added 20-30 deg C to the temp.

Are you sure your brother didn't mess with the heatsink. Maybe take it apart and put it back together wrong???

like the others said, either your heatsink is not making proper contact or the diode is FUBAR. You might try using a different fan on the cpu cooler and see if that solves the problem, as while the fan maybe running it my not be running fast enough to move the air properly. The touch test will work with temps that high (I know i have done it). It will at least tell you if your heatsink is making good contact, if the heatsink is barely warm or not at all to the touch (assuming the diode is good) then the heatsink is not on right (even if you think it is). If it is hot, then the heatsink is on but your fan is not moving enough air to cool it down. Do you have CPU fan RPM monitoring? If so what rpm is the fan reporting? What type of fan is it? Make sure the fan is running at its highest speed (if is is variable), on high it should be running arround 5000- 7000 rpm (depending on fan). You can determine if it is the fan/heatsink combo or the diode also by buying that Vantec Tornado Fan (you know the 56 decible 95 cfm fan) there like $15 because there so loud. Hook that up and see if the CPU temp is still that high, if it is more than likely your diode is shot or the heatsink is not even touching.

And reguardless, 60*C is NOT, I repete NOT life or death for a cpu. It is not great, and you deffinatly want it as low as possible but it is not going to kill it. My old AMD 1500 ran at 72*C for over 3 years without a glich. But again you do want your temps as low as you can get them.

I would definitely agree with everyone else's opinions... check the hsf is on the right way around, get some sort of thermometer to try and check the temps yourself.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back