AMD sempron 2800+

mooo

thecyberninja
I was wondering what the difference was between the amd athlon XP+ and the sempron. I have a new sempron and trying to put it in my asus A7N8X-E but it isn't booting. I was wondering wheer i need to check to see if a bios upgrade is needed or something.

1) the major difference is 256kb of cache
2) you probably do need a bios update.

I will put in old cpu into the box and do it from there..
you rock dreamliner77!!!

They're also moving (if not already moved) to s939.

Yeah, AMD really screwed with their naming convention.

The higher speed Semprons are brain dead 64 Bit, socket 754 cores in a smaller geometry process. The intent is to eventually make the 754 the mid-low range product line replacing the Athlon and Duron Socket A chips that are more expensive to manufacture.

Sempron = rebagded barton/thouroughbred - which core you get is pure potluck as I recently found out after building a batch of 15 Sempron 2400's

im sure i heard from somewhere that the Semprons are the replacement for the Durons. So basically a cost effective solution for comuter builders, a little like the celerons of intel :)

i kore i think that is exactly what they are, budget cpu's to run against the celeron, not much good but for the net and office products. i would't buy one if you want to game, create music or anything intensive.

lancer said:
i kore i think that is exactly what they are, budget cpu's to run against the celeron, not much good but for the net and office products. i would't buy one if you want to game, create music or anything intensive.

can i add the current specs of my computer:

Sempron Skt A 2800+
Shuttle FN41 Motherboard
1024Mb Crucial PC2700 Ram
160Gb Hitachi Deskstar

I can create music and hi-res image editing, as well as some video editing with relative ease. I have also been able to play Quake 3, Warcraft, Half Life 2 etc fine. They may be budget CPUs but i would say that they are much better than there closely related celeron cousins. Very competent CPU :)

dammnit lancer! :p

Sempron = rebadged athlon xp with either barton or thoroughred core. thats all.

its not inferior to celerons. Just as good as your Athlon XP for gaming and creative work

LordOfLA said:
its not inferior to celerons.
sure they are.... hehe... lets see how long this thread gets now...

AMD SUX!

GO INTEL!!

i really dont care but i bet people get real pissed and post this thread all day...

:devious:

Guys you really need to check facts before you post.

Note: High speed semprons are socket 754 like I said above.

http://www.adamant.com/parts_or.asp?GotoID=PARTS&Category=CP&menu=PARTS

Sempron 2600+, Retail with heat sink and Fan, 3 year warranty $89.76
Sempron 2800+, Retail with heat sink and Fan, 3 year warranty $100.69
Sempron 3000+, Retail with heat sink and Fan, 3 year warranty $116.15
Sempron 3100+, Socket 754, Retail with hsf, 3 year warranty $139.59
Sempron 3200+, Socket 754, Retail with hsf, 3 year warranty $151.80

PS You can get the font bigger, lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back