AMD or INTEL ?

G-Money

Big Air
Getting ready to update my system ! Was wondering what you all thought was the better cpu !

Now not trying to start a war, just want some real facts !

AMD Athlon™ XP Processor 2800+ Barton

or

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology 2.8GHz 800MHz FSB 512KB Cache

Thanks !! :cool:

intel...

its superior in everyway with a good canterwood board...

intel has a superior implementation of dual channel ddr and the 2.8C cpu is competitive with even the 3200+ from amd...

if amd had a 400mhz fsb for their 2800+ @ the price it is... it would still be a decent option but using HT myself as well as playing around with oc'ing... the canterwood setup with an 800mhz fsb cpu is the best way to go...

please choose a GOOD motherboard though :)

don't go cheap (in terms of features and the rest).. you will regret it

Thanks alot for your help !!!! The motherboard I planned on getting is : Intel® Desktop Board D875PBZ - Intel 875P !

Hope its a good one !!!

Originally posted by G-Money
Thanks alot for your help !!!! The motherboard I planned on getting is : Intel® Desktop Board D875PBZ - Intel 875P !

Hope its a good one !!!

yah its pretty good... it has PAT :)

Personally I would go for the Athlon, as it is definitely more cost effective. The choice really depends on what you intend to use your machine for, at least the majority of the time.

obviously neither of you two have used a canterwood based p4 :)

athlon's are nice but personally I would be extremely wary of advising anyone to purchase a non athlon64 based system over a canterwood based system...

bang for the buck == low/mid end...

at the high end it is a pure fallacy... specially with amd's rather generous performance ratings they have given their top of the line bartons

Preach on Sazar, I distinctly remember making the exactly same statement you just did when I first joined here and being castrated for it....

Originally posted by j79zlr
Preach on Sazar, I distinctly remember making the exactly same statement you just did when I first joined here and being castrated for it....

lol... well back then athlons were competing well with the p4's that existed :)

the introduction of the 800mhz bus and HT just took intel to the next level...

Originally posted by Sazar
the introduction of the 800mhz bus and HT just took intel to the next level...
not to mention Socket A is dying.

so, if not an athlon64, i'd go intel.

Can't remember where I saw a review on the AMD vs. Intel, but if you're comparing an AMD K7 with Intel P4c then you're better off with an Intel because it fully utilises the dual channel DDR RAM.
However, if you want the biggest bang for your buck for either of the two processors, the best ones are AMD AthlonXP 2500+ or an Intel 2.2GHz (according to what I saw).

If you can afford an AMD64 3200+ on the otherhand, it'll beat the crap out of Intel 3.2GHz.

Thank you all.... Im going to get the Intel P4.

Spent alot of time today reading about them both and the P4 is better then the barton, as I see it!

I also dont have the jack for a AMD 64 ! wish I did ! :mad:

Thanks again !! :)

There's alot of truth in what you all are saying, my gamin rig (specs below) is pretty loaded. My computer @ the office is a Pentium 2.4 Ghz, with nothing fancy on it. There are several applications where the the 2.4 P4 outperforms my gaming rig.

Originally posted by cwalker2734
There's alot of truth in what you all are saying, my gamin rig (specs below) is pretty loaded. My computer @ the office is a Pentium 2.4 Ghz, with nothing fancy on it. There are several applications where the the 2.4 P4 outperforms my gaming rig.

I would have agreed with you guys had I not experienced the raw performance for myself... I just switched from a decent athlon setup to my current rig this week... and believe me... its a heck of a lot of fun :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back