AMD ClawHammer

U

UberBert

So..... has anyone here heard about this beast?? its supposed to be the fastest procesor so far :D cant wait for it to come out, its coming out soon i think. I am going to get it if it turns out to be as good as its supposed to be.

so what yall think?

-Bert

i hope it turns out well, i want a fast processor for my new computer!! lol

-Bert

by the time it's out, ontels next generation will also be released

the only edge hammer has is that it's backwards compatible

this is a huge edge, but I lnow intel is also looking at similar aechitecture, so I think they will also have a backwards compatible chip to go with the hammer

Originally posted by dealer
by the time it's out, ontels next generation will also be released

the only edge hammer has is that it's backwards compatible

this is a huge edge, but I lnow intel is also looking at similar aechitecture, so I think they will also have a backwards compatible chip to go with the hammer

there have been around 1000 opterons working in various machines in various companies for a little while now and there have been nothing but rave reviews about these processors..

going by that... it is highly unlikely that intel will keep its edge by just ramping up the clock and knocking up the bus speed... their architectural changes upcoming will keep things very fresh and interesting... which is what I wanted in the first place...

but still the hammer buzz is not based on paper specs... it has been demonstrated to work in real world apps very well... plus intels desktop 64 bit solution will not be out for a while... giving amd a nice head start there... and seeing as so many people are pledging support and apps for it... it can only mean increasing their almost 20% market share for desktop cpu's...

sazar, I can't argue with your points

it just seems to me intel will not lie down...I can't believe they will let amd trump them on this.

this is why I think they will have something ready to compete with the hammer.

if not, intel will become the second runner, and amd the first.

do you think intel doesn't know this?

they do, and they will struggle to prevent it

that's all I'm saying.

I agree with your post

sazar, I can't argue with your points

it just seems to me intel will not lie down...I can't believe they will let amd trump them on this.

this is why I think they will have something ready to compete with the hammer.

if not, intel will become the second runner, and amd the first.

do you think intel doesn't know this?

they do, and they will struggle to prevent it

that's all I'm saying.

I agree with your post

intel has gone on record to say they don't see a market for 64bit cpu's currently and therefore will debut their part around 2005... hence if the hammers debut this year commercially... BLAM you have a theoretical lead of 2 years unless intel ramps up its production...

thats why I said amd will have a lead... also amd seems to have the upper hand per the buzz with the efficiency of their processors when running 64bit apps...

m$ and epic (to name 2) have said they will release 64bit software when the hammers drop... hence there will be a market expected else this would not have been said...

the race will be fierce

the better for the consumers

something to look forward to, 2 b sure

good info m8

the race will be fierce

the better for the consumers

something to look forward to, 2 b sure

good info m8

np...

I try... to keep up to you lol...

Also it has been said that the Intel version would not be backwards compatable. I also recall that the AMD 64bit CPU was being toted by MicroSquish for their 64bit version of Windoz.

Or something to that effect. I know ya'll will correct me if I is wrong, now won't cha. :cool:

Originally posted by gonaads
Also it has been said that the Intel version would not be backwards compatable. I also recall that the AMD 64bit CPU was being toted by MicroSquish for their 64bit version of Windoz.

Or something to that effect. I know ya'll will correct me if I is wrong, now won't cha. :cool:

is what I said.. :)

Windows 64 is going to be what its called, Whether or not it will keep this name is beyond me for a launch. Which is already developed and ready to launch back when the hammer was SUPPOSE to be released. With a company with is hands in everything backing this launch it would take a grade A flop of a processor launch to screw this up. Baisically microsoft is handing Amd this succsessful launch. Should be interesting to see what AMD does with it. The most promising thing about any peice of hardware is its ability to work with what you already have. With this tool AMD can do no wrong.

Its also interesting to note this lil bit I found in a digi-life column

Over 400 Athlon 64 based systems are now in different companies. Over 130 2- and 4-processor systems on the Opteron are currently tested by over 120 companies. Well, at least it shows that this architecture is interesting and that AMD doesn't need to supply samples of the new processor.

:0)

I think I'll buy the Athlon 64 but at the earliest in 2004. Now I run a Pentium 4 at 1.7 GHz with SD-RAM. It's fast enough... :confused:

The Athlon 64 will be released in September 2003 and it's supposed to be the fastest CPU when released :)

Well the thing is theres alot of hype about this simple fact this processor being a 64 bit chip. I hate to say it but for home use this virtually means nothing unless your running a 64 bit application because the processor does 5 opperations per clock cycle in 64 bit mode. Being that it does one opperation LESS per clock cyle in 32bit mode than the original athlon did. The real list of people who will gain anything from 64bit support is database users, people who run large scientific calculations and autocad users. The real gain this processor has is its backwards compatible with every OS Amd dared to try (55) and its supperior design. Amd currently has a version clocked at 2.4ghz. Im sure they have one hidden away dare not spoke of with even higherclocks. Its plausible this processor will be released with a clock of 1.8 ghz at launch. Could this be the end of the false numbers for amd? Ground plans layed out this processor will soon be paired with ddr2 technology the setup delivers unprecidented bandwidth. We'll see :0)

nice post

and of course, since ther won't be an intel to compare the chip to, they will probably revert to true clock speed, however, they might have to compare the chip to the prevailing chip that intel has to offer, as the intel will definately clock higher.

as you point out, comsumers will not notice a differance for a while, until technology catches up to the chip

Well its not that technology has to catch up. 64 bit technology has been around for a very long time. This just shows that the x86 architecture still can be developed. Wich makes this chip the first big step in processors since the first x86. Namly the I386 I beleive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back