AMD Barton 2500++

R

Reka

I do online gaming such as Ragnarok and CS
Lots of downloads
Usually leave my PC on 24/7 for 6 days in a week

I am planning to rebuild my system.
I plan to go for AMD athlon XP 2500+ Barton , btw what is it's performance compared to Intel, such as faster than a 1.9Ghz or slow than a 1.9Ghz ?

/What's the diff between NF7-S , NF7-M & NF7 mobo ?
/What would be the best options to optimize a system with the Barton 2500+ ? I'm looking for something decent and average. E.g Radeon 9600 or 256RAM
/For the moment, i won't be overclocking, most probably far in the future
/How long has Barton been available since launched ?
/What kind of PSU should i go for ?
/Are the prices going to drop, should i wait or get the freaking parts when i get my money

Sry for asking crappy questions, i'm a computer n00b
Very much appreciate for the opinions and help

Originally posted by Reka
I do online gaming such as Ragnarok and CS
Lots of downloads
Usually leave my PC on 24/7 for 6 days in a week

I am planning to rebuild my system.
I plan to go for AMD athlon XP 2500+ Barton , btw what is it's performance compared to Intel, such as faster than a 1.9Ghz or slow than a 1.9Ghz ?

/What's the diff between NF7-S , NF7-M & NF7 mobo ?
/What would be the best options to optimize a system with the Barton 2500+ ? I'm looking for something decent and average. E.g Radeon 9600 or 256RAM
/For the moment, i won't be overclocking, most probably far in the future
/How long has Barton been available since launched ?
/What kind of PSU should i go for ?
/Are the prices going to drop, should i wait or get the freaking parts when i get my money

Sry for asking crappy questions, i'm a computer n00b
Very much appreciate for the opinions and help

a 2500+ barton compares well with a 2.4ghz intel p4...

the 2.4 ghz a and b revisions btw... compared to the C revision it is likely slower (a revision == 400mhz qdr, b == 533mhz qdr... c == 800mhz qdr front side bus speed)

therefore it is competitive...

its been on the market for many months already and is one of the better overclocking cpu's out there..

I have not dealt with abit boards for a while therefore I will not be able to comment on it... will leave it for other board members...

if you are into gaming and demand good graphics... the 9600pro is a powerful card for the money... it can be bought for around $150 online and below... likewise if you are gaming I seriously recommend getting at least 512mb ram... 256 is the bare minimum I would think if you are using windows xp...

you will be looking to get a name brand psu between 300-350 W which will allow you to upgrade now and in the future... i recommend looking @ around 400W actually so you can upgrade easily...

some of the current parts are already reasonably cheap... ie cpu and video card and memory... if you can afford it now... go for it :)

Abit NF7 - barebones Abit, no SoundStorm, no SATA, no Firewire (MCP + SPP )

Abit NF7-M - no SoundStorm, no SATA, no Firewire, Has onboard video (MCP + IGP)

Abit NF7-S - SoundStorm, SATA, Firewire (SPP + MCP-T)

For the price difference, you might has well go with the NF7-S, it's great value for the money

i currently have the Abit NF7-S and love it. I had an Epox 8RDA3+ but it dies after about 3 weeks so i decided to give the Abit a chance and have never regretted it for a minute. The board is rock solid, fast, and overclocks nicely.

I have an athlon 2500 barton coupled with a asus a7nx8 deluxe,
multipliers on 10.5 and it becomes a athlon 3000 and fsb running at 400 its the dogz bollox and all for under £160 pound,motherboards has SATA and 6.1 surround as standard.
Highly recomended

reka, y not go to lowyat there? u can get some good info or advise by compuzone staff... my 0.02

Do what Sazar Says 512 Meg MINIMUM....

Get a NF7 is you dont need Sound or S-ATA. But the NF7-S is really good and cheap alternative if you dont have sound, but make sure you get a Version 2.0 Board.

Clock the beast - your going to be getting the best O/C AMD chip out there and the ABit is made for O/Cing... You would be mad not too.

Get a decent heatsink - Aero 7+ or the SLK-800.

And if your tight for cash - 1 word - EBay - im 25 purchases in and have had no problems at all.

See the sig.... :D

Originally posted by Bretenn
reka, y not go to lowyat there? u can get some good info or advise by compuzone staff... my 0.02

Yeap, i'll be going to compuzone to get my stuff, but for the meantime i need to save cash. I'd have to do my own study before i buy something rite ? Hehe

As for the RAMS, what kind of rams should i opt for

Don't get the terms like 400Mhz and 3200

Ram
266mhz = 2100
333mhz = 2700
400mhz = 3200
The higher speed Ram will work with a slower speed MB.

The NF7-S is 400 mhz FSB and will work with the Barton (333 fsb) or the faster (400mhz) Tbred chips. Not sure about the other two.

You want the Ram and the MB FSB mhz to match. It gives "synchronous operation" which is faster. You want 2 memory DIMMs in the nforce chipset boards it gives you dual speed memory access by alternating between the 2 dimms. So 2 256meg Ram. This is more expensive than 1 big one but doubles your memory access speed. Hint you can buy one now and 1 latter if money is tight.

With the Barton at 333 FSB you could go for the older nforce chipsets that only do 333 FSB and buy the 333/2700 Ram. This would save you some money at the price of not being able to go to a 400 mhz FSB processor later but that is a small price to pay since the whole AMD XP family tops out around 3200. The cost jump is way more than the performance increase.

I think Igot all the left over questions. If not keep on asking.

:)

Actually, i may get flamed here - but i disagree with what you say LeeJend. On Intel boards having Dual Memory chips seems to make a huge difference but i experemented with my NF7 and it made next to no difference whatsoever despite what anyone tells you. Also, with a single chip you can overclock higher as you dont need to syncronise two chips on the board.

If you have two chips - give it a try and let me know i would be interested if you get the same results. But remember to put the single chip in the right slot.

What kind RAMS should i go for ?
Should i go for Kingston or Corsair ?

is it worth the upgrade from a 1.9Ghz, 128RDRAM, ATI 7000 to a Barton 2500+, Ati9600,512 RAM ?

Or should i wait till next year ?
Any tips and opinions, i don't want to waste my money for something i will not gain much

Sry for asking too many questions, im not so good with computers.

I'll be using the new system for internet,graphics,gaming,school work,downloads, AMD seem to ea up very fast, will it be ok to leave it 24/7 for 6 days in a row ?

Originally posted by Reka
Sry for asking too many questions, im not so good with computers.

I'll be using the new system for internet,graphics,gaming,school work,downloads, AMD seem to ea up very fast, will it be ok to leave it 24/7 for 6 days in a row ?

yah you can leave it on all the time... heck most of us have our computers up pretty much the whole day... :)

One of my friend said i should go for a better ram like a 3200
Then i told him that Barton 2500+ only supports 333Mhz = 2700
then he said to me that, i'll need a better ram like a 3200, it'll give extra juice when i o/c

is it true ?

What he means is that when you overclock the system the speed that the CPU talks to the memory increaces as well. Therefore if you have faster memory, like 3200 as opposed to 2700 - your chances of being able to overclock higher are greater.

Your friend sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Okay, so instead of getting a Kingston PC2700, i should go for a PC3200 so at least i get a better o/c results rite ?

What kind of graphics cards should i go for ?
ATI9600 Pro or ATI9600 OEM or should i wait for the ATI 9600XT ?

Barton 2500+
NF7-S
512mb Kingston/256x2 PC3200
ATI9600PRO

is this combination good enough to play Half-Life 2 smoothly and such as latest games ?

Ahh sry for asking simple questions, i just want to make sure that i don't waste my money
What RAMS should i go for, can't decide , Geil, Corsair , Kingston. (im not an extreme o/c-ker, but i just want something decent

And also, what how many watts of PSU should i get ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back