AMD 64-bit single-core processor club

Sazar

Rest In Peace
Since we have a couple of lads on the forums who are investing in new A64 processors or already have em... thought it might be good to have a little club thinger :D

refer technical support questions and other pertinent questions in separate threads... due to the increased volume of posts in this thread related to general questions and support inquiries, it is better and easier for those questions to be addressed in separate threads in this forum section...

thanks

:cool:

Attachments

• cpu-z.JPG
    cpu-z.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,246
I would like to join. However, I won't have an AMD64 until at least summer 2005 because my current system is running just fine and would like to see the BTX boards out before I upgrade.

Until they can actually be utilised, I'm staying away from 64-bit.

Yay!!!! I can join the club. :) my E-Machines M6805 has the A64 3000+ mobile CPU. Can't wait until either a 64-bit Windows is released or working wi-fi drivers are created for linux. The only thing holding me back from installing Linux is the wi-fi at this point. I use it all the time so I must have it. :)

:confused:

as of right now the a64 based processors are much faster than their competition running 32bit apps... :D

THAT is the beauty of brilliant architecture...

Yharn said:
Yay!!!! I can join the club. :) my E-Machines M6805 has the A64 3000+ mobile CPU. Can't wait until either a 64-bit Windows is released or working wi-fi drivers are created for linux. The only thing holding me back from installing Linux is the wi-fi at this point. I use it all the time so I must have it. :)

how bout dual booting ?

might help a bit in getting the best of both worlds..

microsoft is giiving a year trial on their xp64

give that a go

tri boot, the native, the linux, and the trial xp

I thought the benchmarks were showing the AMD 64 FX was about the same speeed as the P4 Extreme?

LeeJend said:
I thought the benchmarks were showing the AMD 64 FX was about the same speeed as the P4 Extreme?

use one.. you'll know...

have used both, the 64 runs fast stock, with no real tweaks. With 512 MB ram it's real life application beats the P4, have not tried the linux or the 64 bit windows yet, Bought it for my wife, but when she turns around I'll try a dual boot with the linux most likely. Hate to beta Windows, Gawd can you imagine the flaws? :)

LeeJend said:
Are you talking about same performance or same processor speed?
coz an AMD64 3200+ (2.2GHz) will run faster P4EE 3.2GHz.

Sazar said:
how bout dual booting ?

might help a bit in getting the best of both worlds..

thought about it and may give it a try when i get some spare time.

The Athlon 64 3400+, however, outperformed the 3.2GHz Pentium 4 in most of the benchmarks. In the less meaningful synthetic tests, and in the 3D modeling tests, the P4 outran the Athlons, but in our real world office and content creation benchmarks, and in the gaming benchmarks, the Athlon 64 was clearly faster. (just a snippet from hothardware site)

Gonna buy one soon :)

Just a couple of questions..
Is it easy to fit and also what mobo do you advise me getting?
Can't wait to get it :cool:

tommy said:
The Athlon 64 3400+, however, outperformed the 3.2GHz Pentium 4 in most of the benchmarks. In the less meaningful synthetic tests, and in the 3D modeling tests, the P4 outran the Athlons, but in our real world office and content creation benchmarks, and in the gaming benchmarks, the Athlon 64 was clearly faster. (just a snippet from hothardware site)

Gonna buy one soon :)
I'm with speedy, nobody should be making this upgrade who allready has a p4

however, those that are getting a new box regardless should be looking to this cpu, mostly because using this processor, your box will stay current for a much longer period of time then previous cpu investments

I will tell you, I tried the e emachine with this processor, and I noticed no improvement over my now old athlon

I had a p4 3.0c perris... whats your advice for me... ?

as for the thread... I started it with the intention of answering FAQ's and providing some on-the-fly tech support for people who HAVE or INTEND to get the processors and mobo's...

if this is going to denegrate continually into an AMD v/s INTEL thread there will have been no point to the thread at all...

I will respectfully ask everyone who posts in this thread to please stick to faq's/general comments and questions... opinions on why someone should or should not buy an athlon64 processor can be put in a separate thread...

tommy said:
Just a couple of questions..
Is it easy to fit and also what mobo do you advise me getting?
Can't wait to get it :cool:

if you are willing to wait about a month we should have a couple of new mobo's hitting the deck.. @ the moment SiS and VIA have the better chipsets but the VIA chipset is in better boards (ie asus/msi) while SiS seems to have been implemented into cheaper boards (unfortunate since its a good general design)

nvidia's nf3 150 boards are just a little slower but don't have the features that the k8t800 chipset from VIA provides... this will change when their nf3-250 board debuts soon... it is currently being previewed on many sites..

the processor installation is easy... far easier than a socket A processor and the boards generally have a nice layout.. I bought the msi board for performance/features and board layout... I love massive space between the agp and dimm slots :)

if you have any other questions ask away... :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back