AMD 2100 Please Help!!

R

rettahc

Okay I need some help here. I just bought an ECS K7S5A motherboard and an AMD 2100+ CPU. The problem is that when I turn the FSB up to 133 the computer locks up after a few seconds.
the motherboard supports both sdram and ddr, and I currently have a stick of 256 meg pc-133 in it.

The other problem I have is that the guy at the store gave me the wrong memory. Instead of 2100 DDR he gave me 2700, the motherboard only supports 2100 ddr, is it possible to run this memory in this board?

[EDIT added stats]
My systems Current Stats:
ECS K7S5A Motherboard
AMD 2100+ CPU (currently running at 1300Mhz)
256 Megs of PC-133 Memory
Geforce 255 (The G4 should be back by next friday)
300W Power Supply

i dont knw if u can
buh if not
take it back...return it for instore credit or something for the 2700 price...
get the 2100 for its price
and the money u have left over
MODS :D

I was given the wrong memory once too. They gave me 2700 and my board only supports 2100. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, then I looked at it again. Took it back got the 2100 and everything was fine. I would say take it back and get the right memory...

Posted by Funky Dredd
I was given the wrong memory once too. They gave me 2700 and my board only supports 2100. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, then I looked at it again. Took it back got the 2100 and everything was fine. I would say take it back and get the right memory...

Okay I'll take the memory back.. Now does anyone know why the computer locks up every time I put the FSB upto 133? is it because I'm using pc-133 memory?

[EDIT added stats]
My systems Current Stats:
ECS K7S5A Motherboard
AMD 2100+ CPU (currently running at 1300Mhz)
256 Megs of PC-133 Memory
Geforce 255 (The G4 should be back by next friday)
300W Power Supply

Maybe something about memory speed with relation with CPU speed, something like that; I'm not too sure :)

Update:
I got the system running at full speed!!!!!!!!!! looks like it may be a power issue, I pulled all the cards except my Video card and turn the FSB up to 133(266) and the damn thing actually made it all the way into windows.

Thanks for the help guys.

Yay! Now just make sure everything runs fine and your BIOS detects everything correctly. What kind of PSU do you have?

Hi i build quite a lot of systems using these boards,and i had exactly the same problem as you a few weeks ago,and it was a incompatable memory stick.As soon as i swopped it for another it was fine.If you can afford it buy Crucial memory--i never have problems with these,but it costs a few ££'s more

asus a7v333
512mb pc2100
amd xp2100
gf4 4200 128mb
2x40gb hdrives
plextor cdrw
sblaster1024

Thanks for the info kingsam

Unfortunatly I have not yet got the system running right, I can now boot into windows, surf the net and run most programs, but for some reason when ever I try to install certain programs, or unarchive large files the system stops dead. I am hoping that this prob is caused by the memory, as I am returning the stick of 2700 today and getting the right mem.

As usual any suggestions would be welcome.

Get PC2100 mem and you will be fine. That i think is your ownly problem. or have your FSB set to auto and see what that does.

Posted by kingsam
If you can afford it buy Crucial memory--i never have problems with these,but it costs a few ££'s more

Ordered memory from crucial last night. I returned the stick of 2700 and got a 2100, put it in the board, and the damn thing wouldnt even send a signal to the monitor.:mad:
So I figured i go with the company that Guaranties compatability with my MOB.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

I'm pretty sure that any a stick of 2700DDR ram will scale down to run at 2100. Since it would be running much slower than what its rated to go. Sounds like you either have a compatibility issue with your mobo, or possibilty a hardware issue, but I dont think having ram thats better than what your board can run is gonna be a problem.

Artex

pc2700 doesn't make your computer faster, its just rated at a faster speed. do you now the make of ram, i have had experience with that mobo, its really picy on makes of ram, not the type(ie, samsung or kingston) if its a house brand, theres your problem. if you get it replaced for a house brand pc2100, i bet it'll still mess up.

what kind of heatsink do you have? and also, that mobo doesn't always run the greatest at higher bus speeds. try flashing the bios, should be a jumper somewhere. also, try other ram(pc100 or pc133) to mkae sure the problem is your ram, ir swap another cpu to see if its the 2100+'s fault.

Final Update:

It Works!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got tired of F-in around with the damn thing so Today I exchanged the mobo and cpu and also bought a new case(enermax) I think the problem was actually the psu all along. I was on newegg.com this morning reading the reviews for the mobo and one of the reviews stated that you need a psu that puts out at least 28.8 amps on the 3.3 volt line.

Once again thanks to everyone that helped.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back