Amd 1.4 - P4 Celeron 2.2

ste_w

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi

I Was just wondering wether to treat myself to a 2.2GHz Pentium 4 Celeron 4 xmas as i have herd they r going to b cheap? how cheap tho? i currently have a amd 1.4 processer which came with my evesham pc, is it possible to upgrade my comp an keep everything else working?

thanx

cya

ste

the 2.0ghz celerons are currently going for less than $100 usd... so i imagine the 2.2ghz will go for around $140 usd.

But is it worth it? an will i be able to use my system still? if u get me? an does anyone know wat that is in £'s?

thanx

well, i was assuming you were going to get a new motherboard and everything.. along with a new processor.

you realize that no intel processor will work in your motherboard, right? it's a board meant for amd processors.

do you know what kind of board you have? maybe we can help you find a processor to upgrade to.

You're going to need a new motherboard if you wish to move over from AMD to intel, personaly i'd recomend sticking with what you have.
[edit]Beat me to it :D

well i dont fancy changeing my motherboard, so ill stick with amd, are there anycheap amds out there 1.80 ghz or above?

thanx

ste

i wouldn't suggest upgrading, ste_w... first of all, you don't seem to have any idea what kind of motherboard you have, so who knows if it will even support a faster processor. secondly, the processor you have is equivalent to a 1.7ghz p4 or 2ghz celeron. so i don't think you need to upgrade.

but if you can find out what motherboard you have, maybe we can help. why do you feel you need to upgrade, anyway? what do you do with your comp?

I Have a A7A266 Socket A Motherboard.
AliMaGiK 1 Chipset
DDR RAM/ SDRam

And i wanna upgrade my comp gradually, an i dont get how my 1.4 is faster than a 2.0?

The nxt thing i wanna upgrade is my graphics card from a geforce 3 to a NV 30 :)

Thanx

Ste

amd's do more work per clock cycle than intel's. that's why an ahlon xp 2100+ is as fast as a pentium4 2.1ghz, but runs at only 1.73ghz.

if you have the latest bios update (1011) for your board, you can support up to an athlon xp 2100+. if you need to update your bios, get it here: http://download.asus.com.tw/mb_dl_menu.asp?l1=1&l2=10&l3=17&mid=1

make sure your motherboard is the A7A266 and not the A7A266-E.

xp 2100 is that a 2.1 ghz? amd? how much is it? pls?

thanx

cya

like i said, the amd athlon xp 2100+ runs at 1.73ghz.

it goes for less than $100 usd here... not sure how much it is in the uk.

ok thanx 4 ur help, one last thing, do amd have a 2.0ghz? wat is it called? and how much?

thanx

cya

ste

athlon xp 2600+ = 2.13ghz

but your motherboard doesn't support it. they start at $300 usd here.

£85.64
£100.63 inc VAT
for a 2100+ in the UK

Ste why are you obsessed with getting a 2.0ghz chip?, the 1.4 you have is more than capable of handling almost any task.

well i dont know wat to get myself 4 xmas. so i figured a processer cos the nv30 aint out till feb.

thanx 4 ur help

cya

ste

Get yourself a nice xBox instead :p :D
Your CPU is fine, if you really want to upgrade to an NV30 i'd recommend waiting and getting a lot of new hardware or perhaps even a new box altogether.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back