Am I crazy?

Tick, tick tick

Admiral Michael said:
I agree, sounds more like a watch :p You absolutely sure its the hard drive? Cause to me it sounds like a clock.

Uh huh, which is why I've been saying tick, tick, tick. And saying things like "my HD is being accessed every econd, like a clock ticking....

-W

hi

The problem started with the new motherboard so i am going to rule out any hard drive error.

You sound pretty good with the computer and I am leaning toward a program that is installed with the motherboard software that is accessing the drive, internet or whatever.

Might be something as simple as the bios looking for updates to a peice of spyware taking screen caps every sec.

either way it might be very hard to figure out if it's spyware.

Have you updated all the drivers and updated windowsxp?

if everything is up to date yu can hit the start menu/run
type
msconfig
press ok

in the startup tab will be a list of all te programs that will start and load into memory every boot.

make a note and deselect all of these and press apply
now select the services tab and put a check next to "hide microsoft services"

now uncheck all the non microsoft services click apply and restart your computer.

when it restarts we are hoping that the clicks will stop shortly after boot

if this happens then we know a program in the settings is causing theis problem

re-enable the settings until you locate the culprit.

now if it is spyware, you most likely cannot locate and disable the program tere.

try it out and keep us updated.

good luck

something is making the hard drive work.

edit:

I have not heard the sound as your link is down but some suggest it's a watch or something.

I do suggest that you remove the case and determine that it is indeed the hard drive and not the fan or a light diode blinking etc before you try the steps above.......

hehe

Wrathchild said:

weird - spent like five minutes downoading that on dial up (my f***ed 3G card said would take 3 HOURS and then disconnected!).... then go to hear and cannot hear a bean over the noise of my lappie fan! Have to transfer to my MP3 and then let you know - laterz...

But do let us know outcome - does sound an oddity (my guess would have been PSU related, but there ain't a significant HT in an HD!!) :rolleyes:

i was going to say something about myself hearing similar ticking noises, but then i heard the wav.... take it back :eek:

if there is a clickin noise, generally it is the head a little too close to the platters m8...

I would do as the others are suggesting and get a replacement for it...

re: the processing sound... its probably the same thing I get once in a while with my audigy as well... I believe its related to creative labs hardware or software (or both)... I haven't found a fix for it yet :( but its generally an on/off kinda thing...

Next

Sazar said:
if there is a clickin noise, generally it is the head a little too close to the platters m8...

I would do as the others are suggesting and get a replacement for it...

re: the processing sound... its probably the same thing I get once in a while with my audigy as well... I believe its related to creative labs hardware or software (or both)... I haven't found a fix for it yet :( but its generally an on/off kinda thing...

OK, so I went and spent $160 on a new hard drive, installed XP, and guess what? Tick, tick, tick. The ticking is synchronous with the clock cycle. For instance: if I bring up the event viewer and open the performance tab, the graph is refreshed on each tick. Also, when I'm playing UT2004 or any other game that runs in it's own space, there is no ticking. I've spent over 300 bucks trying to figure this one out. I think I'll be replacing my brand-new motherboard next...

-Wrath

if its not the hdd... rtrn it... get back your money...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back