alternative to winrar

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
I know i can use 7zip to replace zip and rar but is there a freeware program that can make rar files? i know there is a open source version for linux/unix is there one for windows?

I need to be able to make split rar volumes - zip is an option, but would prefer rar as it compresses better or does 7zip compress better still ?

7zip is still my fav, and WinACE, though not sure what WinACE can compress into.

according to 7zip.org, the 7zip format compresses better than RAR

but!.. i know a few months ago i used to lobby for it :p
but i found that its so much slower than winrar for both compressing and decompressing, even using the x64 version (against the 32 bit winrar)
it also seems to crash more (not too often, but i almost never had a crash with winrar)
soo.. idk, maybe u were right in the first place and its better to stick to winrar
:X

im giving 4.65 7zip a go which says its supposed to have a few bugs and such corrected, what i would like to see is a x64 winrar then you would have a true comparison

I don't think anything can do better than winrar.

so it will create split rars and such? and that others can unrar and such without issue

I don't think it can create them but can split them according to this page.

That app seems pretty plain compared to Winrar.

Winrar is actually a good deal if you consider you get a lifetime license and free upgrades for the price.

so it will create split rars and such? and that others can unrar and such without issue
Is "Create Multi-Volume Set" the same? If so then yes.

Oh and I've mentioned several times (usually to the Win fan boys) that I have a Windows box also. ;)

dont let you lord and master steve mobbs now that - he will kick up out the apple club! :D , thing is though AZ i cant afford a 3 pc licence and would it be right to use it on 3 pcs :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back