alternative to winrar

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
I know i can use 7zip to replace zip and rar but is there a freeware program that can make rar files? i know there is a open source version for linux/unix is there one for windows?

I need to be able to make split rar volumes - zip is an option, but would prefer rar as it compresses better or does 7zip compress better still ?

N

Not Bman

7zip is still my fav, and WinACE, though not sure what WinACE can compress into.

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
according to 7zip.org, the 7zip format compresses better than RAR

but!.. i know a few months ago i used to lobby for it :p
but i found that its so much slower than winrar for both compressing and decompressing, even using the x64 version (against the 32 bit winrar)
it also seems to crash more (not too often, but i almost never had a crash with winrar)
soo.. idk, maybe u were right in the first place and its better to stick to winrar
:X

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
im giving 4.65 7zip a go which says its supposed to have a few bugs and such corrected, what i would like to see is a x64 winrar then you would have a true comparison

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
I don't think anything can do better than winrar.

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
so it will create split rars and such? and that others can unrar and such without issue

American Zombie

Staff member
Political Access
I don't think it can create them but can split them according to this page.

That app seems pretty plain compared to Winrar.

Winrar is actually a good deal if you consider you get a lifetime license and free upgrades for the price.

Xie

- geek -
so it will create split rars and such? and that others can unrar and such without issue
Is "Create Multi-Volume Set" the same? If so then yes.

Oh and I've mentioned several times (usually to the Win fan boys) that I have a Windows box also. ;)

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
dont let you lord and master steve mobbs now that - he will kick up out the apple club! :D , thing is though AZ i cant afford a 3 pc licence and would it be right to use it on 3 pcs :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moussa021