Alternative to Scandisk

Skunk141

OSNN Addict
Is there a decent not too expensive program that is better than scandisk, I have a disk that has bad sectors and need to mark/fix them before I ghost it as after trying 3 programs trying to ghost they all fail with these bad sectors.

Thanks for any info :)

Hiren's Boot CD has HDD Regen that does a scan disk, and has a few more programs that scan/check disk.

I couldn't get it to fix a improperly mounted disk though... but it might be worth it. Takes like 40 hours for an 80 gig drive to scan each sector.

spinrite will keep good disks healthy to. By reading and writing back the data it read it strenghtens the magentisation and keeps data good. Remember the earths own magnetic field is acting on magnetic storage media and will in time erase them if not regularly used.

Wound up with a few blank floppies after 15 years of neglect that way :D

Thanks chaps even this disk was beyond help from spinrite I had to use the ghost switches -ntc- -bfo and then run defrag/spinrite on the new drive.

Great bit of software glad I have it :)

spinrite will keep good disks healthy to. By reading and writing back the data it read it strenghtens the magentisation and keeps data good. Remember the earths own magnetic field is acting on magnetic storage media and will in time erase them if not regularly used.

Wound up with a few blank floppies after 15 years of neglect that way :D

hmmm, the disk was healthy otherwise? That's interesting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back