• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Allow search to search all folders

Kevin Ar18

OSNN Senior Addict
I've been looking for at least 2 files recently using a search on all my hard drives, but the results turn up nothing. Then I find the files in Windows\System32, so I'm assuming the search feature is limited to what folders it is searching.

It seems the search in Windows XP does not search the Windows\System32 folder just to name a few.

Is there any way to allow search to search everything on my harddrive?

I have all folders visible to myself, as well as hidden and system files visible. I have the indexing feature turned off (to spare my harddrive running).

chastity

Staff member
Political User
Yes there is a way to have search all files and folders. I think the easiest way is do a search that u know based on other searchs that will not get u any results then I think it will offer some options like searching all files and folders.

A

allan

When you do a search put a check mark in "Advanced Options" and then also check "Search System Folders", "Search Hidden Files & Folders" and "Search Subfolders".

Unfortunately, you need to do this everytime you search.

D

Dirk Diggler

Here's a link to the full info on how to get the Search function back to basic:-
ClickMeQuickly

Or if thats going to far just copy and paste the info between the lines into Notepad and save it onto your Desktop as ExtraSearch.reg then just double-click it.

-----------Begin Copy and Paste-------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"CaseSensitive"=dword:00000000
"IncludeSubFolders"=dword:00000001
"SearchHidden"=dword:00000001
"SearchSlowFiles"=dword:00000000
"SearchSystemDirs"=dword:00000001
-----------End Copy and Paste----------------------

P.S.
The words enclosed within the little square brackets should be on one line.

Perris Calderon

Staff member
Political User
Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
Dont' suppose there's a way to make that option stay on by default?
my choices stay checked in the advanced searches...all I have to do, is hit advanced, and everything else is remembered...I thought this was default behavior for the search

Kevin Ar18

OSNN Senior Addict
Originally posted by dealer

my choices stay checked in the advanced searches...all I have to do, is hit advanced, and everything else is remembered...I thought this was default behavior for the search
Yeah, it's the same way on my comp (which is good). I just wanted to see if the advanced options could be kept enabled to make it even easier.

Thanks all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix