Allow regular user to unlock screensaver locked computer

AdminGurl

OSNN One Post Wonder
Is there a group policy or Windows Security setting that would allow my users (i.e. non administators) to unlock a workstation?

So far all I can find is a third party application ( Unlock Administrator http://www.e-motional.com/ULAdmin.htm ) This program seems to do the trick but I obviously would prefer to do this through GP.

Any suggestions?

AdminGurl

I feel this must be a tweak... surely? Anyway I also want to know.... because it would seem such a poor design decision by M$ not to make this tailorable (it looks bad to me they made it default this way, even!)

AFAIK, only the currently logged in users or Administrators can unlock a screen saver state PC.

Quite honestly, that's a rough situation as it is because if anyone besides the user logs in, it will force a logoff and then lose any open work.

In my humble opinion, anyone with the need to unlock a PC when it is locked by a screen saver, should have some type of Administrative rights to the machine, or a generic Administrative account they can do to perform the unlock. Otherwise, what are they really doing there?

If, say the scenario comes up that this is a shared PC, and the general users who use it swap in and out and say the previous user locks the PC via the screensaver and forgets to logoff - and then the next user who comes along can't log them off because they aren't an admin, that's a bit different and gives you two options....

Have an administrator use the remote shutdown command, which is something like this....

shutdown.exe -m \\computername -t xx -r (something like that, and the "xx" is time interval before the shutdown goes)

Either that, or install this little utility -

http://www.ipworx.com/product/netlogoff/index.shtml

It will actually log the user off after a pre-determined amount of inactivity.

Other than that, perhaps provide more details as to what you are trying to accomplish maybe?

Other suggestions would be interesting for me to know as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back