All Programs Menu

A

a5972s

My main problem with XP is that when you hover the mouse over the 'ALL PROGRAMS' menu it takes ages to build the program menu list. Windows 2000 would only show the recent programs and hide the rest, which I found quite helpful. Is there anyway you can enable this feature in XP without using windows classic.

not sure, what you can do though is speed up the display of the menu...which should help greatly unless the reason the menu is showing slow is due to your system or vidboard being slow...how the reg key to change is listed on this site under the xp tweak guides

hope that helps :)

thanks anyway but already tried that.

Anyone else have any ideas....?

You could try unchecking the "open submenus when i click...." in the advanced startmenu options. you have to click on the submenu instead of just hovering but it may be quicker.

you misght also try catorgarising your programs in the start menu, subdivde it into smaller lists such as applications, games, utilties etc. so the menus are smaller and should load quicker

You could also try increasing the number of most used programs on start menu, they may act like the recently used programs thing u mentioned

Turn off menu animations for one, as well as any other animations, if it's that slow. MS did away with the "personalized menu" in the Start menu in XP (That's what you're talking about, btw). If you have that many items in your start menu, you could turn on scrolling as that would cut the display of a few items at least. Last, make sure you don't install programs into the start menu directory, or store files there. My brother used to do that (don't ask me why) and the size of some of the files ate up a lot of time when Windows went to parse the directories.
/L.A

On second thought, I like Khayman's suggestion of categorizing/organizing your start menu, and the recently-used programs would actually be the replacement to the personalized menus of 98/ME

here it is
Start Regedit.
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Control Panel > Desktop
Select MenuShowDelay from the list on the right.
Right on it and select Modify.
Change the value to 1.
Reboot your computer

Adobo: that's the menu speed. You can change that in Tweak UI or any other tweaking program.
/L.A

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back