• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

All exe files open in the same program problem

T

Toothpyx

i have a problem in windows xp where all my programs open up in same program

how i did it was that i had uninstalled a program but the shotcut was still in my start menu. After i reinstalled the program, the shortcut was still not working, so i right clicked it, went into properties, and clicked the change button beside "opens with:". whatever program i change it to opens up whenever i open up and exe file.

system restore is an exe file

please help
thanks

2z

OSNN Gamer
Hi Toothpyx

welcome to XP-erience

not to sure if this is gonna work
worth a try

open my computer / Tools / Folder Options / file types.

scroll down to the programs icon (the one that caused the problem)

highlight & click advanced

look through the options see if theres a way to undo it

:cool:

T

Toothpyx

well thanks anyways
it doesn't solve my problem though b/c there isn't an exe icon there

2z

OSNN Gamer
if cant find a solution it may be worth doing a repair install

boot from the CD
Enter - to begin setup
F8 - I agree
R - repair install

:cool:

yoyo

Are you really sure you changed the behaviour of exe-files? Since you still have a startmenu and can look into folderoptions at least explorer.exe is still working. Maybe you only changed the associations of shortcuts (link-files). Can you open any programs if you directly doubleclick them in the program files folder or by typing the name in the run-dialogue? (Press Win-key and r to open it.)

T

Toothpyx

yup i changed the behaviour of exe-files
double clicking exe files open the same program

as for doing repair
i can't begin setup because it is an exe file

yoyo

Did you try the run-dialogue? Press Windows-key+R and type notepad or winword or something and click OK. The way you described what you have done I cannot see how you could have changed the behaviour of exe-files from the startmenu. There are programfolders and links in it, no exe. Perhaps you could describe once more what exactly you have done. Seems I don't have an "open with" option in the properties of either shortcuts nor applications. Other questions what options do you get if you rightclick an exe-file, which program opens and are you on another computer now or how do you open your browser?

2z

OSNN Gamer
Posted by Toothpyx
as for doing repair
i can't begin setup because it is an exe file
huh :confused:

if you boot from the cd your installed XP is bypassed & has no effect on booting from the cd

it will work

:p

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
Are you talking about exe files or the shortcuts to the exe files? If it is the shorcuts try making new one & see if that does it. If so you will possibly have to do it to the entire start menu. Find an exe in windows explorer/program files, right click on it & create a shorcut from there.

V

vdubVR6

I did something like that along time ago:(....I went and told windows to always open (can't remember the program) ? with netscape. And then nothing would work!! all my programs would try to launch in netscape. Unfortunatly me and my bud couldn't find a solution. But I would try to right click on any program and try to fool it into opening w/ something else!

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown