Alert from Windows Update

damnyank

I WILL NOT FORGET 911
Why am I not surprised???

Alert: HP Pavilion and Windows XP Service Pack 1 Incompatibility

Alert: Windows Update has detected that your computer is a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion desktop or Compaq Presario desktop PC with Windows XP pre-installed. After you install Windows XP Service Pack 1, you might encounter an issue with the PC System Recovery utility. If you use this utility to perform a non-destructive system recovery, you might be unable to start your computer. Recovering from this error requires a full destructive system recovery, which results in the loss of all user data. Hewlett-Packard will release an update to the PC System Recovery utility soon. When you install that update, this alert will no longer appear in Windows Update. Please refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q329450 for additional information.

Yep - part of HP Tools - I never used it - but from what I can figure out - it is part of the "hidden partition" recovery thingy!

Yes, that's the KB listed in the last line of my initial post!;)

I have an HP Pavillion winth Win XP Home pre installed and SP 1 and don't see this message in windows update or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, can someone tell me exactly were this message would be displayed?

It comes up as a Critical Update when you run windows update from the windows update page (ie Scan for updates).

Let's hope HP and Compaq gets their Corporate A$$es in gear and fixes this quickly or they are going to have many unhappy customers.

heh, proprietary systems, why am I not surprised even a tiny bit. I have ranted about the special builds M$ has done for proprietary systems since W95. This is merely another example why I won't buy a Compaq, Dell, HP, Packerd-Bell (if they were still around), IBM, etc., etc.

Take a hint and build a clone.

:p :rolleyes: :D :eek: :) :p

I had this problem twice, before sp1 was released. Both times i tried a non desructive system recovery, and both times i ended up, calling hp support center, and they only thing they could tell me, FULL SYSTEM RESTORE. The Problem has always been there......HP is trying to blame it on sp1. I will never run a restore on this pc again....nor will i ever buy an HP computer again.

Originally posted by harley1730
Inor will i ever buy an HP computer again.

I agree with you I'm not buying another prebuilt desktop system from any company. Al welcome to Xp-erience harley1730

yes, no more prebuilts for me, either. Thanx for the welcome hipster and doofus.. Love the site, been coming here about 2 months now, hope it stays up.

I have a Hp Pavilion 7965 and i never had a problem installing windows xp serivce pack 1. maybe you have software conflicting with the service pack files ?

poolmanmichael - I never had a problem installing SP1 - what we are talking about is a"new critical update" notification received from Windows Update - after you have installed SP1

By the way - welcome!

Sorry my mistake but i have used windows update since installing windows xp service pack 1 becuase of my scanner every thing seemed to go okay

i did jus post that on news. i have xp home on hp with "hidden partition"

the "non-destructive" recovery is s**t + takes ages + leaves all icons + bits of files all over place.

the "destructive" reovery is gd

The only way to do a recovery on an HP is destructive, I tried a non destructive before SP1 and it completely screwed everything I had installed.

yup it does because u get a "cross over" were some programs are in windowzz bit as well as documents bit. so it screws em. u end up reinstallin all programs anyway. but it does keep all of the "my documents" bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back