Alert from Windows Update

I spotted that this morning on another SP1 thread (yoyo mentioned it) - I downloaded it - but have not installed it yet!

Have you installed it?

I took the plunge and installed SP1RcvryFIx.exe per the instructions on the HP Site. Everything went smooth - I thought.
I did everything as it instructed and after it said the patch was successful, I quit out of the System Recovery and it booted right up.

Then I went to check Windows Update - as the "Critical Update" for the problem is supposed to disappear once the patch has been installed - well guess what? Yep - it is still there!

I tired a reboot, thinking maybe it would update something on the next boot - Nope - still there as a Critical update!

Anyone else have any better luck than I did??
:confused:

can't b bothered 2 do it:p

i alway's do destructive

Thanks for the quick reply - but since you always do destructive and I have not had the need nor the urge to do either as yet - is the destuctive pretty straight forward - like easy to follow?

Just curious since I don't have alot of faith in the patch I just installed - so the non-destructive works!

Do you have the recovery cd's from HP or do you use the hidden partition?

Sorry for all the questions - but I have never been there.

lol i've done it b4 + it wrk really well:p u jus chose destructive + it basically does exactly the same,jus write over top of old stuff.i did it off partition + it took bout 20 painless minutes.non destructive is messy as it leaves program entries + icons which don't work. u end up reinstalling all progs anyhow. better + easyer 2 back up files on c.d + do destructive.

from me h.p book:

restart comp + press f10 @ blue hp invent screen.

wait.....

select system recovery

choose destructive revovery

next

yes

let it do it's thang (20 mins)

restart

hey no prob's i'm here 2 help (and spam):p

I guess it would be considered spam if I said "ta again m8" - so I won't say it!;)

Just an update - I was really bored the other day as the forum was anywhere from slower than dail-up to non-exisitent - so I went back to the good old HP Support area and re-read the installation of their SP1recovery.exe.

I thought to myself this - is a different set of instructions compared to what I remembered from the previous time I tried it - so I went to my "downloads folder" located the zip file for the SP1recovery.exe and followed the "new directions"!

All went well, went thru it all just as it said it would and then I got really brave and went and checked Windows Update again to see if the Critical Update for the initial system recovery problem was still there (as it had been after the first tme I tried to installed the fix) - OMG - it disappeared! I was really happy - thought I had everything fixed up!

Wrong - it wiped out all my system restore points - including the one before SP1!

I can understand how this happens and even understand why it happened - but they could have at least warned me before it happened!

I am not sure I would have installed the "fix" since I received feedback saying the recovery sucked anyway and a destructive recovery was the way to go! To me still having the restore points would seem more advantageous than having their fix for the recovery console (which don't work right anyway) installed!

Hopefully this will help someone else make a better decision than I have made! Bloody HP!:mad: :mad:

I am not sure I would have installed the "fix" since I received feedback saying the recovery sucked anyway and a destructive recovery was the way to go! To me still having the restore points would seem more advantageous than having their fix for the recovery console (which don't work right anyway) installed!

I perfectly agree with you .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back