AlCu, or just Copper?

Android412

OSNN Addict
I've decided to get the Zalman 7700 heatsink. Just cant decide between the pure copper one, or the aluminum/copper one. I know the pure copper one is better, and for $10 seems like a no brainer. My worry comes with the weight of the two. According to Zalmans site "The maximum weight for a cooler is specified as 450g for Intel Socket 775/478", yet the AlCu is 600g, and the Cu is 918g. I know it sounds like nothing, but it def. feels heavier.

The only reason I'm concerned with the weight is I pulled one of the north bridge heat sinks retention clips out with an after market north bridge cooler(that I ended up returning). The heat sink is still on there fine, but if the same thing happens to the CPU heat sink, I have a feeling that just wouldn't be good for the MB.

Anyway, should I say screw it and go with the Pure copper and not worry about the weight, or stay on the safe side, and go with the slighty less efficient(sp?), lighter Aluminum/Copper one?

Android412

I have the Zalman 7000B-Cu (w/ the LED) that I bought from wind3D here on OSNN a few months ago. According to Zalman's site, it weighs about 755 g, which is in between the weight of the 7700 AlCu and Cu.

I'm not sure how much of a temperature difference you'd see between the Cu and AlCu versions, but I don't think the weight should be much of a problem. The HSF is solidly constructed, and it comes with a backplate that attaches to the back of the motherboard. Once everything's fitted in, it feels very stable and sturdy.

You can't go wrong with either one though. :)

it will be fine, it used to be a concern when the older HSF clips were cheap or cheaply made, for the most part manufacturers know you are going to upgrade to a new HSF. If you are that worried about it, make a mod, and design your own...

OR go water-cooling...

The weight of the all copper HSFs is enough to bow the MB even with screw mounts directly to the board. The long term bowing can break the copper circuit traces on the MB. Any shock (bump or drop when moving it) can also cause circuit traces to break. Never transport the computer with one of the all copper heatsinks on installed.

There is a reason Intel and AMD recommend maximum HSF weights. If you choose to disregard the spec's you are taking a risk.

How many degrees of cooling improvement does that risk buy you? 5 deg? 10 deg? 1 deg? Run the numbers and figure it out.

I recently put in the Thermaltake Sonic tower..
its massive. a whopping 700 grams.

180.jpg

With a good Antec case ($150.00 CDN) I have chip temperatures at 28 to 35°C. I run a P4 3.2 ghz... nothing special.. but the entire system has one 120mm fan, and thats it! the power supply is fanless as well. The box barely makes a noise.

I guess the point of this post is to say that.. my P4C800-Deluxe E aint bowing... with a freakin 700 g tank.

jimi_81 said:
I recently put in the Thermaltake Sonic tower..
its massive. a whopping 700 grams.

180.jpg

With a good Antec case ($150.00 CDN) I have chip temperatures at 28 to 35°C. I run a P4 3.2 ghz... nothing special.. but the entire system has one 120mm fan, and thats it! the power supply is fanless as well. The box barely makes a noise.

I guess the point of this post is to say that.. my P4C800-Deluxe E aint bowing... with a freakin 700 g tank.

I'm running the P4P800 Deluxe E, with a 3.2 ghz., and only have one 120mm fan, well 2 in you count the PSU. My systems running at 44-46C at idle, which is the main reason why I want the Zalman (heard its one of the best, and quietest on the market). Hopefully I can get down to close to your temps.

Here is what it looks like after install.

Attachments

• tst.jpg
    tst.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 100
GOD DAMN!!!!, didn't really get how big it was without the MB for scale, that thing's friggin HUGE!!!!.

NetRyder said:
That thing looks insane! :eek:

I'll have to get down on my knees and take a pic for you guys.
I fried one motherboard trying to get this thing in.

It was such a nightmare. my old board had clips and not screws. i ended up bowing the board by being too forceful. My fanless power supply made it difficult for me to manuevre much... i'll have to take a pic.

the only time my temps go high is when im running seti@home. it goes to like 50°C

Hope this works..

DSCF0095.JPG
my camera stinks.. cant figure out how to take closeups...

that antec 120mm fan has 3 settings.. i have it on medium. could get away with low... but id rather run at 30°C

Wow...and I thought my Zalman HSF was big when I first got it. That thing is just ginormous! :D

hehe
i think its aluminum fins, and copper base/copper heat pipes

Yeah, that's why it weighs only 700 g. It's huge, but it's actually lighter than my Zalman 7000B-Cu.
Imagine what would happen if the fins on that thing were copper too. The board would probably snap in half when you turned the case up on its feet. :p

Does the Zalman install easily?
The Sonic Tower was a pain in the butt

1 I-bar
2 retention clip arms
2 HEX nuts.

the hex nuts killed me. one slightest movement and the Ibar would slip, and the retention clip arms would fall. It took about 1.5 hours to install correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back