AIW saving home movie file as .mp2

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi guys,

Will Windows Media Player play .mp2 files? I am saving a home movie using my ATI AIW Rage128Pro onto my HD, and I would like to copy to CD for my family to play on their computers. AIW is saving it as a .mp2. If WMP can't play it, how can I convert to .mpg?

Thanks in advance

Heeter

From Microsoft:

MPEG-2 program streams also frequently use .mpg and .mpeg file extensions, but they contain MPEG-2-encoded video. Because Microsoft Windows operating systems provide only an MPEG-1 video decoder, Windows Media Player cannot play MPEG-2 program streams without an additional MPEG-2 video decoder (also known as a DVD decoder pack) installed.

If you have DVD software such as PowerDVD installed, then you will have an MPEG-2 decoder and everything should work fine. If not, then let me know and I'll give you info for converting to MPG. :)

Thanks, Muzikool

I think I have a version of that somewhere here. I think I saw that come on a CD with my DVD burner. I gonna have to check. That would answer playback for myself. But, I would to convert the files anyways so that when I shoot this homevideo to my family, it should be able to play on their MediaPlayer without installing more software. Would you be able to show me how to convert?

Thanks in advance.

Heeter

I just checked my CDrom collection here. I don't have PowerDVD. Would there be a freeware version of a MediaPlayer that I could use? Something that could play .mp2.

Heeter

Look for VideoLAN. Has native DVD decoding.

If it is true mpeg2, your best bet would be to burn it as a miniDVD. Converting will lose quality.

Thanks Dreamliner77,

My actual intent is to be able to send to family through emails, and they can open even with most basic MediaPlayer.

Heeter

All kinds of software can be found here. There will be more than one program that will do the conversion, so you can be sure to find one that you really like.

Since this is pretty new to me, Muzikool, Which one would you use on that site?

Something that would be pretty straightforward.

Thanks in advance.

Heeter

I'd use one of these. I can't point to one specific program because you might like one better while I like another better. It's best that you try at least a couple of different ones to see which does what you want, the way you want.

AVIEncoder
DVD2AVI
I-Media
MPEG2AVI

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back