aim has talking ads now....

The official AIM client became a garbage product a long time ago, even more so after AOL started bundling WildTangent with it.
Given the choice, I'd refuse to use the AIM service completely, but for some reason it continues to remain the most popular IM service in America and I have to connect to it to be able to communicate with people here. Trillian Pro 2 user here too, but only for the AIM network. MSNM is still such a pleasure to use.

I refuse to use AIM, I used to use ICQ alot, but now I just use msn messenger and yahell when I absoluty have to.

iChat + aMSN, jiggly as a moose. As a moose.

If you dislike the ads diable them. If you don't like the spyware don't install it. If you install any of that stuff it must be because you like it. Remove it and your left with AIM w/out the junk. :)

I don't remember AIM setup giving me the option not to install WildTangent. In fact, I didn't even know I had it installed until I saw a new icon conveniently placed in my Control Panel one fine day. The talking ads can't be disabled from within the program either. You might need a third-party patch to do that.

I don't support products that claim to be free but start to become intrusive.

NetRyder said:
I don't remember AIM setup giving me the option not to install WildTangent. In fact, I didn't even know I had it installed until I saw a new icon conveniently placed in my Control Panel one fine day. The talking ads can't be disabled from within the program either. You might need a third-party patch to do that.

I don't support products that claim to be free but start to become intrusive.
The newest version of AIM gives you the option to not install WildTangent along with the other thing (sorry name is eluding me right now) during setup. You just have to uncheck both boxes as they are checked by defualt. You will need a 3rd party app to rid yourself of ads but thats easily found and done. :) Also if you have a descent firewall you should get an alert about WildTanget trying to connect and blocking it stops it's install.

Xie said:
The newest version of AIM gives you the option to not install WildTangent along with the other thing (sorry name is eluding me right now) during setup.
Good to see that they changed that now. Still, it's too late to bring me back. ;)

You will need a 3rd party app to rid yourself of ads but thats easily found and done. :)
Sure, it's easy, but it shouldn't be necessary. I wouldn't have a problem with just a small regular banner ad at the top/bottom, but talking ads (just like popups) are something I can't take.

Also if you have a descent firewall you should get an alert about WildTanget trying to connect and blocking it stops it's install.
That still doesn't justify anything. It's bad practice to throw malware into a product that's used by millions of people (most of whom don't even have a clue what a firewall is, much less how to obtain and configure one) and expect them to figure out how not to install it by themselves.
Of course, you mention that they now include an option to uncheck it, and that's ok. But the fact that there was no indication of this "bundleware" in the last version that I used was enough to drive me far away from it.
Besides, I find that third-party IM clients have nicer interfaces and better functionality in most cases, but that's just a matter of personal preference, I suppose. :)

Oh other thing bundled (that you could un-check) was Weatherbug. :eek: And was with most everything computing it's all a matter of preferance. :) Only 3rd party AIM (oscar protocal) using app I've tried is Gaim (v1.0) and found it not yet stable enough to switch sadly.:(

Thank gawd I don't use (nor have I used) AIM :eek: Talking ads could be right up there with Mr. Clippy in terms of annoyances.

Note to developers:

/me can find blabber mouth computer and dancing paper clips on the screen a bit distracting/annoying.

In the latter

/me disable it

In the former "shut up already" :D :p I don't need to use it :)

Xie said:
Gaim (v1.0) and found it not yet stable enough to switch sadly.:(

Same problem I had. I'm one more advocate for Trillian! But I'm just like NetRyder--gotta use MSN's super nice client. AOL and Yahoo go to Trillian.

w00t, me modified my Aimres.dll to take out ads and useless buttons, along with add custom bg. weeee! samurize on top for weather

Attachments

• BuddyList.jpg
    BuddyList.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 97

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back