AIDA32 listing something strange

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
AFter reading some threads I decided to D/L Aida32 to see what info it would provide me. As I was going through all the different menus I came across the sensor data, and got one hell of a suprise! It is listing my CPU temp at 80-82 C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Attached is the Aida screen shot and my setup is in my system info. Can this be right!?! My system as you can see records 3 temps. And untill now I always thought that the one aida lists as motherboard was my CPU temp as it changes with load, the Aux was my case temp, and I disreguarded the one that lists as CPU as it Always reads 80-82C reguardless of load.

Anyone have any insites as to what is going on here? Should I be worried that my processor is listed at that temp? Is that really my CPU temp?!!?:(

Install Motherboard Monitor and check your temps with that.

80 deg Celsius is impossible. Seriously. The CPU would melt at that temp. The threshold temp of a Pentium III CPU is around 80 deg Celsius. (Post edited)

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Originally posted by NetRyder

80 deg Celsius is impossible. Seriously. The CPU would melt at that temp. The threshold temp of a Pentium III CPU is around 80 deg Fahrenheit, not Celsius.

Thats complete bull, My old p3 ran at 41c which is over 100 F at idle, and upto 50c when heavily in use.

Oh man....big mistake :eek:

Haven't used the P3 desktop in a while, and I don't monitor temps on the laptop. Good thing Eddy caught the error. I'm really sorry. It is 80C, not Fahrenheit.

In any case, 80C isn't a comfortable temp either. Give MBM a shot and see what it reports.

Originally posted by NetRyder

80 deg Celsius is impossible. Seriously. The CPU would melt at that temp. The threshold temp of a Pentium III CPU is around 80 deg Fahrenheit, not Celsius.

Well first your way off on temp part, an athalon can handle up to 90C before failure. and I am already running MBM5 and it is listing my CPU as what Aida32 is showing as motherboard. But the real question is which is right? And if MBM5 is right then what the hell component is at 80C?

but i have never seen a CPU get that hot that is not OC, even if athlon with stock cooler and all it will not get that hot, what does MBM say???

Originally posted by Maveric169
Well first your way off on temp part, an athalon can handle up to 90C before failure.

Yeah. Sorry about the glitch. I really don't know what made me do that. :huh:

I don't know about yours, but I can check out my CPU temp if I go into the BIOS at boot time. I'd say to run Aida32 and check to see if that temperature is really high. If so, reboot real quick and check to see what it says in the BIOS.

ok, I checked my temps listed in the bios and they match what MBM5 says my CPU is and what AIDA32 says my mobo is. SO I think AIDA32 is just lableing things wrong. WHEW! I can live with a CPU temp of 41C - 48C. But I am still confused as to what the 80C temp reading is from. I have searched the net and can't find any info on where the different sensors are. I really want to find out what the heck is 80C, as that can't be good period. If I can find it I can fix it.

Try cooling down your system's temperature (put it in a really cold room and blow some fans on it or somethin) and see if that temperature drops. If it stays at 80 degrees even if everything else goes down, then it's probably trying to read a sensor that doesn't exist or something.

Originally posted by zyfos
Try cooling down your system's temperature (put it in a really cold room and blow some fans on it or somethin) and see if that temperature drops. If it stays at 80 degrees even if everything else goes down, then it's probably trying to read a sensor that doesn't exist or something.

I agree. I have a reading that does this. No matter what I do, it stays at a certain temp. Just disregard it.

I thought the same as you when I first read it so I touched my HSF and it was barely warm. A CPU at that temp would've felt HOT.

Well I agree, if my CPU was at 81C I would think that my Huge heatsink would be at least a little warm, but it is not. But I am not so sure that this is a case of a nonexistant sensor (although it is not listed in my bios) as both MBM% and AIDA32 both say there is a sensor that is reading 81C, but I can't find anything that feels even close to being that warm. I tried to see if I could catch that sensor heating up by shuting off my PC for a few hours, and then checking the temps as soon as it was up but it already read 80C. I think I will fire an email off to Gigabyte (mobo manuf.) and see if they have any info on this sensor reading. I will let you all know what I find out.

Well first your way off on temp part, an athalon can handle up to 90C before failure.
I think you may be wrong on this. It appears that when AMD speaks of temps with their AthlonXP's they are refering to the temps of the internal temp sensor, which very few mobo's actually read. Most mobo's (and people who post their temps) are actually reporting the 'chip edge' temp, which comes from a sensor which presses up aginst the cpu (and depending how tight, can influence temp readings). Many times you can see it in the middle of the socket before you install your cpu.

That said my 'chip edge' temp is currently 42c, but the actual temp from the internal sensor is 61c. My mobo, a Soltek calls this ABSII, and it will shutdown the computer when this (the second) temp reading reaches 90c. If the 'chip edge' temp was to reach 90c, I'm sure my cpu would be long fried. I doubt if this is possible though, as when 'chip edge' temps start to approach 60c most AMD systems become highly unstable.

Aida does not read this internal sensor temp, and on my system has the temp readings reversed.

A nice utility to read all temps on your mobo, including the HD, is SpeedFan . It too can report some strange temps, but i just de-list the ones that don't make sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back