Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... Help Me Plz !!!!!

patrick

OSNN Addict
I carefully created a new account so that if I were to screw something up I could delete the account and there wouldn't be any problems.
What I didn't realise was that File Type changes are global and that I've just screwed the settings on all the accounts.

I was trying to change the default folder icon through Tools>Folder Options. I swear I clicked nothing other than File Folder>Advanced>Change Icon, but now, every time I double click on a folder it opens a command window with the folder I double clicked in the command line. (I do have powertoys installed but the problem wasn't because of it). If I right click on a folder it shows "command window" at the top in bold as if it is the default but I couldn't find a way to change the default.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Patrick

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\directory\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\drive\shell

Set the value for each of these keys to the word: none

that oughta fix ya right up :)

Hey...

Same thing happened to me... I wrote about in this thread:

http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8822

The solution was a system restore, so I hope you have a recent restore point to roll back to...? :) If I were you I would avoid changing anything in the file types list that doesn't actually have an extension (like Audio CD: NONE, Folder: NONE) because that's what seems to have caused the problem for both of us. If you want to change your default folder icon, I would recommend simply hacking your shell32.dll, and there's a tutorial about it in this forum.

Hope that helps!

mavis

edit: looks like Qumahlin beat me to it - I wish I had known about that registry trick when I jacked my system up last week! :)

Thanks heaps!
Qumahlin, I changed "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\directory\shell" to the "none" value as you said and it worked!
Geesh, I've been fretting about that for over an hour now and to think that it was just one little word giving me such a headache!

Mavis, fortunately I didn't have to do a system restore. Though, I was wondering-
does the "system restore" feature restore all your old files or just settings?
And windows does the backup automatically right?

Thanks again!
Patrick

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back