AGP or PCI?

_DM_

OSNN Senior Addict
Ok whats the difference between PCI or AGP? Does anybody know if I have a AGP slot? I have a Dell Deminsion 4400 Pentuim4.

Well I would guess you would have an AGP slot. Well the differenice between PCI and AGP are more based on what they are designed to do. PCI was designed to allow poeple to add about any type of add in like a sound card or a modem or network card almost forgot video cards. AGP was designed to do one thing and that is to be a higher speed connection for video cards. If your not sure which type of slot you have take the side off the case and see if there is a Brownish colored slot where the video cable from your screen hooks up to your video card. Also you will be more likely to find AGP video cards then PCI video cards. I hope this info helps.

Well almost all of the motherboards I've looked at have a AGP slot which is generally Brown in color and PCI slots which are generally White in color. That is the stanard color's for those slots as that is what all or most of the motherboard manufactors agreed on. And yes in all likely hood dm as an AGP slot but without being able to look at the system I can't say for sure. I also couldn't remember the speed's for them.

Well almost all processor's use a motherboard with an AGP slot. The processor doesn't really have any factor in what kinds of slots are on your motherboard that is up the company that made your motherboard. But since your system is a relative new one so you most likely have an AGP slot.

The bandwith of AGP is greater than PCI. Which reminds me, I'm gonna crank up my FSB more. I'm shooting for a 800 MHz OC.

Well that's not totally true that the bandwidth of the AGP bus greater then the PCI bus. The AGP bus as greater bandwidth then the stanard 32bit PCI but I've heard that PCI-64 will perform better then the AGP bus but I haven't seen to many boards that have 64bit PCI slots though

if it has an agp slot it is brown and is closest to precessor and is set inward from the back of the board then pci slots are. if your board does not have built in video then it is 99% agp (top slot) just about every board made in last 5-6 years has been agp.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back