AGP and PCI-E

jpom

OSNN Addict
Does anybody know of an AMD mobo that has both AGP and PCI-E. I have a BFG 6600GT OC AGP card, I would like to be able to upgrade from my 3000XP+ to an AMD64, but I don't want to have to buy a new PCI-E card since my 6600 is working fine for me and I don't want to buy a board with AGP now and then have to buy yet another new mobo 6 months down the road just to get PCI-E.

I've found a few pentium boards using a via chipset that is supposed to be pretty good at supporting actual AGP8X speeds along with actual PCI-E 16x speeds. There is also supposedly an ECS board that supports both but it apparently only gives you about 50-60% speed on the AGP, and besides it's ECS.

So if anybody knows of any boards or any adapters that don't hinder performance too badly it would be much appreciated.

TIA
James

You won't find a board that supports both. Not sure if an adapter would exist either.

i doubt if you had an adapter for agp it would work with 8x anyways.

From a basis of card availability, you're best of getting PCI-express as it's now officially the way forward. In performance terms however, there is no real difference at the moment between either interface, I've read a few articles that say PCI-express won't make any noticeable difference for a few years yet, and we're not even reaping the benefits of using AGP x8 over AGP x 4 at present.

ray_gillespie said:
From a basis of card availability, you're best of getting PCI-express as it's now officially the way forward. In performance terms however, there is no real difference at the moment between either interface, I've read a few articles that say PCI-express won't make any noticeable difference for a few years yet, and we're not even reaping the benefits of using AGP x8 over AGP x 4 at present.

True, PCI-E is the way to go in terms of Card availability, last I checked there were quite a few including nvidia 7800 that did not come in AGP models. This is exactly why I don't want to buy a new motherboard with just an AGP slot, because then when i am ready to upgrade my video card I will just need to buy another board with PCI-E because chances are the card I will want will be PCI-E and I would not be suprised to see AGP all but phased out by then, even if we never do end up really using AGP 8X to it's fullest extent.

On the other hand I would love to buy a PCI-E board but I can't see buying a new PCI-E card because the AGP card I have right now is easily good enough for me for the time being, and of course the money issue. I don't want to go out a buy a brand new PCI-E board and then have to downgrade my video card because I can't afford something equal to or better then my current one in a PCI-E model.

Unfortunatly it seems as though currently it's an all or nothing deal, either AGP or PCI-E. From the article that Zombie posted it looks as though they may be bringing out a 939 board with support for both, hopefully it'll work better then some of the boards I've read about. Of course by that time I may be ready to acutally go right over to PCI-E. Guess I'll just have to see what happens.

Thanks All,
James

I saw one somewhere. I'll try and find it again.

Nope, it was a CPU upgrade slot I was thinking of.

Ok, I knew I saw something. The chipset and a reference board are out but not on the street for sale yet. ULi chipset:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2471

Unless you're forced to buy wait until you can do the whole MB/Video at once. It will be cheaper in the long run and you'll get a faster set up for the money (prices are headed nowhere but down).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back