• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

after re-install - now have to login

hmmm
before WinXP went all the way to full login
now I have to click USER
how can I remedy this?
install made me enter at least one username

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Start
Run
control userpasswords2

Highlight your username and check the box. It will ask for your password. Input the password.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
No, you don't have to.

Just set it so it doesn't ask you to login everytime.

Even if you don't put a pass, winxp asks for login (with pro, not sure bout the others) at startup once you put sp2 or whatever on your rig.

If you have no password, leave it blank I guess.

You can also avoid the login screen by only having one account on the computer which is waht I do.

You need to turn off the guest account (it is a second account). It probably was turned on by default during the reinstall.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
LeeJend said:
You can also avoid the login screen by only having one account on the computer which is waht I do.

You need to turn off the guest account (it is a second account). It probably was turned on by default during the reinstall.
So are you running using the built-in Administrator account?

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
If your password is blank then that's what your password is.

So yes, follow those instructions and leave the password blank.

It's that easy.

kcnychief said:
So are you running using the built-in Administrator account?
Umm, damned if I know. It's been 15 months since I set this up. The only 2 accounts I have showing are guest (disabled) and mine as administrator.

Yes, it's a legit copy of XP Pro w/SP2 and all updates are installed. And to the best of my drug damaged memory I never hacked it in anyway to get rid of other accounts.

My other XP Pro machine is the same except Guest was turned On (I just diabled it). Neither has a login screen at startup.

Why? Is that doing something stupid?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown