After logging-in to XP Home

djchapple

OSNN Addict
I have just had the usual irretrievable crash and I have almost reloaded everything.

So far no real problems but I have one annoying niggle.

The system boots up as normal and gives me the normal desktop screen but on top of this screen there is always a window showing one of my folders. This is the normal window you would receive if you used Windows Explorer.

I have looked everywhere (well anyway lots of places) but i cannot find how to stop this explorer screen automatically loading at start-up.

Any ideas?

have you checked whats started at boot with msconfig? check your startup folder in the startmenu. check the register for runonce

Many thanks for the advice.

I have checked the startup menu, nothing there, and I have looked in msconfig again i found nothing obvious. However I am not sure what the entry would look like for an explorer window?

Next I will look in the registry as suggested.

It may be as simple as some missing quotes in a command somewhere. If you have a shortcut in your startup that has a command with spaces in it and it is not set between quotes Windows will only read until the first space and open this folder if it exists.

Originally posted by yoyo
It may be as simple as some missing quotes in a command somewhere. If you have a shortcut in your startup that has a command with spaces in it and it is not set between quotes Windows will only read until the first space and open this folder if it exists.

yeah, check spaces and commas in your win.ini file (under your Windows directory). Check for any spaces or commas in your "Load=" or "Run=" lines and remove any. Also, check if you have the Windows Explorer DesktopProcess registry key under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Explorer
and delete the value if you have it...(remember to backup your registry before you go around wacking anything in there!!!)
You could also try enabling bootlogging (msconfig, boot.ini, check Boot Log option) and seeing what's loading in your ntbtlog.txt file

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back