after install still slow cpu

B

Boris

After an upgrade w98se to xp pro the system was very slow, so i asked in this forum for any hints, why my pc is slow. Most of them recommended to do a clean install no upgrade.
So i erased everything and did a clean install. But my pc is still so slow.

My system is
Athlon 600 Mhz
Asus K7M
Matrox Millenium Dualhead 400 G
256 MB Ram 133 Mhz
128 MB Ram 100 Mhz
2 Networkcards - 1 for DSL(10 MB/S), 1 for a network (100MB/s)

Installed all recommended drivers from MS.

No tasks running in hte background, because i had the lousy speed right after installation.

Has anyone a clue whats wrong with the system?

Thanks for your help.

Boris

Have you bridged the two networks, I was bridging one between a laptop and the rest of my network and my computer screeched to a halt. (Sharing internet isn't bridging, you actually have to select both connections the select bridge for this to happen so I'm doubting you did this)

Originally posted by Twink
Have you bridged the two networks, I was bridging one between a laptop and the rest of my network and my computer screeched to a halt.

No, i dont bridge the connections

could be the combination of the slot athlon and the matrox card. My friend has a slot 850 and his xp is also slow compared to my old setup(t-bird 800 and ficaz11) so maybe its just the hw setup?

How is your ram configured in your BIOS, from what you posted you have 128mb with a 100FSB & 256 with 133FSB. Now this will cause problems because they are running at different speeds.. you should set the faster 133 memory to run the same as the 128mb, i.e. 100fsb. Otherwise the BIOS & XP get confused and will no doubt slow the loading of XP.

Or even better try and sell or swap your 128mb pc100 ram for pc133 like your 256mb dimm.

Originally posted by stuy_b
you should set the faster 133 memory to run the same as the 128mb, i.e. 100fsb.

they are both running on 100

Originally posted by duder
could be the combination of the slot athlon and the matrox card. My friend has a slot 850 and his xp is also slow compared to my old setup(t-bird 800 and ficaz11) so maybe its just the hw setup?
probably a hw problem. Sandra gives me 207 Mips. This is unreal

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back