After crushing the CPU, does the mobo need to be replaced?

J

joshuajme

I have managed to find an AMD XP 2200 for £130 which is pretty cheap, but do I need to pay another £70 (Gigabyte 7DXR+) for a new mobo?

Please could some1 advise me cos I can't even afford the 130 let alone 200, but if putting the new cpu in the same mobo is going to kill it that would be even worse. Thanks,

I think the CPU will be ok in the old mobo. Bad luck if it doesn't. Besides, you have warranty on it right?

I built the comp myself, warranties don't cover accidental damage, only physical malfunction or poor worksmanship. I don't think I could ring my supplier and ask for a replacement cpu cos I crushed it. I think I will just buy a new mobo to be safe, better than throwing away even more money even though it is throwing away money in itself.

eh by crush you mean physically crushed? or killing it due to faulty somethin or other

I don't follow

To cut a long story short, put heatsink on wrong without a shim on the processor to protect it, killed the athlon xp.

Well I meant the new processor. You plug it in, *fry*, *darn*, "Hey it was broken when I got it, oh btw, send me a mobo as well while you're at it".

No problem. As long as there's no visible damage, the warranty covers it. The old one is physically crushed and therefor not covered by warranty.

come on ppl, any1 know whether I can use the same mobo or not after crushing a cpu on it? would save me 70 smackerooners.

Ok Sensible answer,

When the chip fried, It is very possible it has taken the board out as well. I would say It is in your best interests to replace the board as well. Yes I know Its more money, However, at least its a guarenteed working solution.

As for ( not your suggestion! ) Seeing if the new chip blows, AMD aren't stupid and they can tell what has blown the chip in the majority of cases. They are also refusing to honour warranties due to poor fitting or other faulty hardware blowing the chip.

I know I'm asking you to spend more than you can afford, but in the long term it will be the best solution.

I didnt fry the chip, I chrushed it. Or is that the same in effect?

Did you turn the pc on after you installed the chip, and if so what happened when you did ?

Depends on how it's crushed. Normally it's just broken (as in no contact). If you have really bad luck, the mobo fried. If you have really really bad luck it fried in a way that makes new processors fry as well.

I really don't think that chance is big enough to buy a new mobo without testing it with a working CPU.

But that's my opinion...

When I turn the comp on nothing happens, the screen is blank but the power is on. The hdd's flciker activity for a moment every boot but thats it. When I initially turned it on there was nothing like sparks or smells. B4 any1 says its the graphics tried 2 diff cards both of which work on my other system.

I think the board will be fine. I've seen and heard of ppl cracking the CPU when installing the Heatsink and not damaging the MoBo.

If ya want, take yer box into the store/shop and let them install the new CPU. If it don't work... Hey, it's their fault.

But also, are you sure it's the Athlon ya killed and not the MoBo???

hhmm good question, all the signs point towards athlon being dead and there is absolutely nothing I can think of that would of killed the mobo, whereas I can definately put a finger on how I crushed the cpu.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back