Advice plz

BATTLE

OSNN Newbie
Hi guys ,I am going to upgrade my Graphics card soon and I was wondering if there is much difference in performance between 128 mb,256mb cards.
The card I've got is Ge-F FX 5700 256mb and was probably going to get a 6600 or a 6800. Thx for any advice.

:)

not that i have seen. i'm sure that games like doom 3 set to jesus christ can my computer handle this mode might use all of the 256mb on a Graphics card but other than that 128 should be more than enough. the performance to price difference just isn't there for me anyways. But Bottom line it all depends on what game you play and what tasks you perform. if you do video editing, then i assume you might need the 256, but i don't know. here is a basic break down of the 2 cards you mentioned you wanted to buy.

nVidia GeForce 6800 GT
nVidia currently has a slight edge in the graphics card performance war, thanks to their GeForce 6800 series, which represents the largest leap in game card performance to come along in years. They support DirectX 9.0c and Shader Model 3.0 and are available for both AGP and PCI Express. Note that the 6800 Ultra wants two auxiliary power connectors, so you might want to go with the 6800 GT, which only needs one. For those who can afford them, this is positively dreamy stuff.

nVidia GeForce 6600 GT
Although very similar to the 6800 cards, including DirectX 9.0c and Shader Model 3.0 support, nVidia has made some changes to make the 6600 series more affordable. They have fewer pixel pipelines, fewer pixel shader units, and the memory bus has been reduced to 128-bit from 256-bit, but they still offer exceptional game performance.

Thx Taggert for the reply m8,it will mostly be used for gaming ie Battlefield2 (when it comes out) etc thats how Im doin the upgrade thing.

Thx again.

BATTLE said:
Thx Taggert for the reply m8,it will mostly be used for gaming ie Battlefield2 (when it comes out) etc thats how Im doin the upgrade thing.

Thx again.

Yeah he was correct,.... unless you plan on putting your video settings up to Jesus Christ mode 128 is probably fine ..but you could expect some delay or twitching while looking about the battlefield. The entire idea with the 256 is obviously a longer buffer between what the processor processes and what the video card processor processes. More video memory means less cpu processing (later on) meaning the memory stores information which the cpu processor has already processed... haha confused yet?

for instance ... playing RPG games that load everytime you transport somewhere or change a level. More video memory = faster load times and less waiting due to jittering .. of course this can be altered with video display settings ...

The fact is ... if you can get a 256 card i would spend the xtra money .. that way later on when you do indeed figure out what youre missing if you had 128 wouldnt prompt you to think man i wish i would have purchased that 256 card.

This is a change in position for me.

I'd now go with the 256. Unless it means you get stuck with a 6600 instead of a 6800 due to budget constraints.

The games are using more and more texture memory and it will help if you are doing any rendering work. Remember you're buying this for the next 2-3 years worth of games.

So first choice 6800 GT 256
Then 6800 GT 128
Then 6800 128
Then keep saving until you can get at least a 6800.

Video cards are out-of-date the moment you remove them from the box. That's just the way it goes with them right now. If you're wanting to play games like BF2, then you'll probably want to play Call of Duty2 when it comes out in six months which is made with the same graphics engine as Doom 3. Games are getting better and better graphically by the day. Unless you want to be posting another thread about which graphics card you should ask for for Christmas, go ahead and save and spend the extra money.

My two cents..

Not sure about the Battlefield 2 but I think ultimately it depends on what resolution you're playing your games at.

I've got a Gainward golden sample 128mb 6600GT and it handles half life 2 and doom 3 just fine at 1280x1024 running on an athlon 64 3500+. More than playable on maxed detail and effect settings (although I must admit I don't use anti aliasing or anisotropic filtering-can't tell the difference anyway).

My recommendation? Get the 6800GT only if you're running your games at 1600x1200 (and if you're prepared to live with a noisy hoover in your pc:lick:).

KidIcarus said:
My two cents..

Not sure about the Battlefield 2 but I think ultimately it depends on what resolution you're playing your games at.

I've got a Gainward golden sample 128mb 6600GT and it handles half life 2 and doom 3 just fine at 1280x1024 running on an athlon 64 3500+. More than playable on maxed detail and effect settings (although I must admit I don't use anti aliasing or anisotropic filtering-can't tell the difference anyway).

My recommendation? Get the 6800GT only if you're running your games at 1600x1200 (and if you're prepared to live with a noisy hoover in your pc:lick:).

i like the sound of my jet engines. i think my computer would be WEAK without the sound of the jets taking off 24/7

Well lads got meself a BFG 6800 ultra oc 265 mb DDR3 etc etc for £280.00 off eBay.
Think I got meself a good card.

:smoker: :)

BATTLE said:
Well lads got meself a BFG 6800 ultra oc 265 mb DDR3 etc etc for £280.00 off eBay.
Think I got meself a good card.

:smoker: :)

Right on and let the roaring video cards have their way ....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back