Advice on buying a Sony PSP

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi all,

I am thinking of trading a load of old games and bit in and I should be able to buy one of these on the store credit.

I am thinking on getting the slim and lite version due to having tv out and the extra ram onboard.

Right a few questions:

• Firstly how do people rate these? I already have a DS.
  • What's the video/ media playback like I heard it's excellent
  • is the web browser any good?
  • Any body running homebrew?
  • Are there some good games you can recommend?
Finally as I already as I said have a DS lite I am looking to be using the PSP for media playback, playing with the homebrew apps and some different style (sony exclusive) games that I wont get on my pc or other consoles.

Final question I have noticed that there is a Final fantasy special edition silver psp slim and lite out at the moment (bundled with ffVII)
or should I just get a black one?

Cheers

Personally i would keep your DS and homebrew that mo'fo :D

I dont care for the PSP too much, just seems to be another piece of Sony marketing rather than something enjoyable.

If you do decide on getting one however, the slim is a must. No point getting the older version.

hmm it does seem like i thought that the slim and lite version is the one to get. Nobody got one round here though?

had one of the white slim psps, had it for about two weeks and then traded it in so I could get the DS back. Wasnt impressed at all, the DS had so much more going for it in my mind. :)

I do like the Ds I got one then i convinced a mate to get one, then I got my missus a pink one, then my mates missus got one then another mate and his missus got one each..... Damn should work for Nintendo!
What homebrew you running on yours anyway? I am just running moonshell.....

The thing I was looking to use the PSP was for video playback, and sony games (got a 360 and a wii too so miss out on those) did you really have that much of a bad experiance with your psp?

i want to get a psp but sadly only for the homebrew and playing psx games on it. I have no real interest in playing any of the games that have been released for it except FF VII crisis core and God Of War, but really video playing and homebrew is all I would use it for. That's kind of why I'm trying to find a used previously modded one for not a lot of money or trade.

Last edited:
O.K. my 2 cents worth. I own a PSP but it's not one of the new slim ones. I do play a lot of games on it and I watch quite a few movies also. I do some web surfing with it and I have been thinking about trading it in for the slim one due to it's ability to use Skype. You now can have internet radio on either the older or newer versions of the PSP with the newest firmware but you can only have the Skype ability on the new slim versions. I tend to use the internet radio a bit on mine. My daughter's boyfriend has the new slim PSP and he loves it. The internal memory (RAM and Flash ROM) was doubled from the original's 32 MB to 64 MB. This has helped the web browser's performance (if you are going to be doing that). Sony reduced the capacity of the battery by 1/3 but the new PSP has more efficient power usage so battery (run) time is still the same as the older model. Now the slim PSP has the AV connections so as to plug it into a TV or a monitor and play your games and movies on it. Games will only output to external monitors or TVs in progressive scan mode, so televisions that don't support progressive scan won't show the games. Movies will work just fine because they can be viewed either progressive or interlaced. The D-Pad was raised on the new one to improved responsiveness when playing your games. Now from what I have read Sony removed the infra-red port because it offered no use to "original" PSP users other than in homebrew applications. So as for your question about homebrew appsand such, I can't answer that. Also depending on the size of the Memory stick pro duo you use you can download onto you computer and then upload into the PSP's mem card all the movies, video and music you want. Right now the 8GB is the largest you can use with the latest firmware (which is v4.05). My ex wife's kids both have a DS one has the lite and the other the regular one. They play it all the time but they also have a PSP and they play it just as much. There are quite a few games for the PSP that are quite good. I have to run an errand ATM so when I come back I will post the ones that I have played and enjoyed.

Thank you g man! I wonder what tipped me off that you might know something.....

Oh do you have a black or a silver one? Thinking of getting the special edition FFVII one in silver but I do normally always get things in black....

i want to get a psp but sadly only for the homebrew and playing psx games on it. I have no real interest in playing any of the games that have been released for it except FF VII dirge of cerberus and God Of War, but really video playing and homebrew is all I would use it for. That's kind of why I'm trying to find a used previously modded one for not a lot of money or trade.

That's sounds pretty cool actually... hmm.

Thank you g man! I wonder what tipped me off that you might know something.....

Oh do you have a black or a silver one? Thinking of getting the special edition FFVII one in silver but I do normally always get things in black....

Oh I dunno... Ummmm, Sig? Avatar? :rolleyes: :p

Here is a link that shows pretty much all the different "special editions" and colors of the new PSP. I have the plain black PSP. I like black. :D Now these are all from Japan so the US firmware might not go with them or work with them, although I have heard of some doing the US firmware and had no problems... but ya never know. But this way you can look them up locally to see if they are available.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-12x-49-en.html

Games I have played:

KillZone Liberation (own)
Coded Arms (own)
Coded Arms Contagion (own)
Chili Con Carnage(own)
Burnout Legends (own)
MLB 07 The Show (own)
NBA 08 (borrowed)
NBA 07 (own)
Syphon Filter Dark Mirror ((own)
Full Auto 2 Battlelines (borrowed)
the SOCOM Navy Seal games (borrowed)
God of War Chains of Olympus (borrowed)
FIFA 07 (own)
Worms Open Warfare 2 (bought for ex's kids... but) fun fun fun :D
Death Jr. and Death Jr. 2 Root of Evil (bought it for my ex's kids but I have played it with them. Second one is much better)
ATV Offroad Fury Pro (own)
ATV Offroad Fury Blazin' Trails (came bundled with PSP)
Moto GP (borrowed)

That's about it. And a few movies too.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the white personally but then I have never personally liked white stuff (the wii would be much better in black) ;) for me it is between the FFVII special ed and the black one

My two centavos on the psp...I have owned about three PSP's since its release. I started with the PHAT psp's and they were pretty bulky, the speakers were placed incorrectly (Sony why the hell would you place speakers on the bottom), & its web browser was not all that spiffy. Now when I began purchasing the SLIM in bulk to sell I had to sell my PHAT because the SLIM is amazingly light, its SLIM (no way!!!), & it is much faster for browsing. Now as far as the homebrew aspect of the SLIM it does get a little tricky and what I mean by tricky is all in the battery that you use in order to perform the hack, you NEED to have a PHAT in order to hack the SLIM. This has become a science for me and/or process by now since I have been selling these things like hot cakes pre-hacked. Only problem with the ones I sell is that they are used but people dont mind because of the free games they get so everyone is happy. Video Playback is by far the best I have seen on any device of this size. I own a iPod Video but the screen is far too small to view anything on it with my PSP I have a nice wide view where I can see everything properly. Encoding files for PSP use is something that SUPER takes care of gladly for me and it never fails, no skips, no stutters, no BS it just works. Hopefully this helps you Indy & if you have any questions let me know I would be more than glad to help....

What homebrew you running on yours anyway? I am just running moonshell.....

Tried Moonshell, but im a linux geek. So im running DSLinux on it just now, but to be honest i think since i have installed it, I have had about 10 minutes to play with it. Im busy as hell just now and i just cant keep up with projects that I start but never have time to finish. :dead:

My only successful project was my server, everything else seems to remain in limbo!

As for your PSP, if you want one get one. Just make sure you do go for the slim n lite. Anything else would be ludicrus. Also, I like the ceramic white one (one i had) but perhaps thats just because im a little bit of an Apple fanboy :p The silver special edition FF sounds tempting, but again im a bit of a Final Fantasy fanboy too :yowch:

At the end of the day, walk into the shop you are intending on buying it from and ask to see and hold both (Black and FFXII) Then you can have an up and close look at them. Granted the machines will be the same, but you can get an idea first hand which one you like the look of more :)

Good luck with the purchase.

Oh, and it wasnt so much a bad experience as such. I just didnt like the way it was layed out. Didnt like the noise it produced when loading and running games like GTA stories. It felt to commercial (obvioiusly its a commercial product) but the DS seems a little more like 'homebrew hardware' it should be the underdog, but personally its just so much more!

Right thanks to everybody for the advice.
I think I might go for the silver FFVII special edition, but the easy option is to go to town tomorrow and see what they have, if they have got the silver I will get that if not the black leave it to the hands of fate to make my decsion :) then I just need to get a spare battery....

They sell an extra capacity battery with cover for the Slim n Lite PSP. You may want to look into that. Although it will make your PSP look like The Hunchback of Notre Dame. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back