Advice for novice on set up

trackrat

Birmingham UK
I have 2 computers that I want to network so I can share the printer & BB connection. They are close together so a cabled system will do. What I want to know is the the Telewest cable modem plugs into the lan connector on the one M/C, and lan connector is free on the other. Does this mean all I have to purchase is a network card for the M/C that the lan connector is being used on and connect the cable from the network card to the lan connection on the other M/C or am I missing something :confused:

what is the m/c
if you have 2 computers and want to LAN them and you want to share a broadband connection. all you need is a broadband rotuer. a dlink linksys etc there are many brands they will say dsl or cable router and each computer will only need 1 NIC... i hope that helps

You could also have 2 NIC's in one computer and use internet connection sharing.

Admiral Michael said:
ya but a router is the better way to go.
Thanks for all your replies, I have decided to buy a Linskys BEFSRU 31 router.
Regards Alan

not bad
that should do the trick
just choose PPoE add the username and password
enable DHCP
and your good to go

celticfan11 said:
not bad
that should do the trick
just choose PPoE add the username and password
enable DHCP
and your good to go

Thats mostly it. Good Luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back