Advice For New System

ziptrx

OSNN Addict
I'm looking at upgrading my system, but found that it would be better to upgrade everything to the new standard. Well what I consider the new standard (pci express, sata, etc). I just wanted some opinions, and thoughts to make sure that the parts I have picked will work with no conflicts but most importantly if the motherboard and video card will fit in my case (Lian-Li PC-60). I would prefer not to buy a new case, but I know that newer parts are bigger and this could force me to get a new case.

Here is a list of the parts I am planning on:

ABIT AT8 Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire
HIS Hightech Radeon X800GTO
Antec NeoHE 500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply (definately want one with dual 12v rails and active pfc)
KINGWIN KF-812-BK SATA Mobile Rack
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2GB OCZ Titanium
(2) Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS
Plextor IDE DVD Burner Model PX-740A/SW-BL

I'm only upgrading to the "new standard", but with the room to upgrade, like adding another video card. Please feel free to recommend other parts, especially heatsinks. Thanks.

Last edited:
DON"T DO IT! (yet)

AMD is about to launch their new generation of socket M2 processors. Wait until that happens otherwise you will be locked into a dead ended MB. AMD will not be going any faster on 939 socket processors and DDR is bandwidth limited on memory access.

At this point wait for an M2 socket MB and DDR2 RAM.

On the video, I have been badly disappointed with the X800XL. I have to recommend Nvidia even though I've been using ATI for 7 years.

ATI is crippled on OpenGL games and they had my X800XL on the market for 4 months with incompatible drivers. ATI has lost the edge. They also have a nice scam going. You can not upgrade your card if you don't like it. Same replacement only. They are forcing this on their supplier chain too(check newegg's listings - replace with same card only).

But ATI will be happy to give you $50 for your $300 card on a trade up to a $400 card. They seemed to be proud of this attitude.

M2 processors? How will the prices compare to, for example, the one that I selected?

For the PSU, I was reading your guide and you stated "12V1 of 17A or more, 12V2 of 18A or more". I searched Newegg and came across 2 that fit within your recommendation. Is the one I selected recommended or would I be better off with something else?

I'll look into NVIDIA again. I had a GF4 4400 but it fried so I replaced it with an ATI X700 Pro. It's been a good card, but being an AGP I can't use it with the new system I am waiting. I'm not looking for anything that is overkill, just something that will be able to handle graphic programs (Carrara) and intensive games (BF1942 2) and not be close to being sluggish.

My current system I built when AMD XP first came out and with the new changes I'm becoming lost. Especially when they are constant. I'm budgeting myself $1600 (with shipping), so any other suggestions and recommendations you can give will be helpful and grateful. So continue with the tips! ;)

really wait. you know i think it was you Leejend that told me to wait a month or so. And i coudnt... And i stil cry that i dont have a 7800 in this box. What a littel bit longer.

M2 processors? How will the prices compare to, for example, the one that I selected?

More expensive at the beginning but after time .. My opinion is also to wait for new platform ..
Cosmin

VenomXt said:
really wait. you know i think it was you Leejend that told me to wait a month or so. And i coudnt... And i stil cry that i dont have a 7800 in this box. What a littel bit longer.

Don't feel alone. I didn't follow my own advice and I'm stuck with this pathetic X800XL. Sigh hind sight 20-20.

ziptrx said:

The M2 line is going to come out with a full range of parts (Sempron to X2 5000). I'm not sure where the pricing will fall yet. You might find some interesting deals. If the M2's have been designed to use less silicon then prices may be lower.

ziptrx said:
For the PSU, I was reading your guide and you stated "12V1 of 17A or more, 12V2 of 18A or more". I searched Newegg and came across 2 that fit within your recommendation. Is the one I selected recommended or would I be better off with something else?

The NeoH2 is one of those ones I warned about. It is "SLI ready", not SLI certified. Certified means tested and approved by Nvidia. Ready just means has some SLI connectors. Search for "SLI certified" on newegg. Also the NEO line had some problems when they first came out. If you go ANTEC buy a True Power. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
There are several suitable Enermax and ANTEC power supplies. Some of the other guys here recommend the Thermaltake supplies also. I've never owned one so can't say on them.

ziptrx said:
I'll look into NVIDIA again. I had a GF4 4400 but it fried so I replaced it with an ATI X700 Pro. It's been a good card, but being an AGP I can't use it with the new system I am waiting. I'm not looking for anything that is overkill, just something that will be able to handle graphic programs (Carrara) and intensive games (BF1942 2) and not be close to being sluggish.

Those too hot GE4's dying are what drove me into the ATI camp. But I was not happy with ATI this last buy. Too much money, too many problems and bad company attitude. I should have gone 6800GT or for what I spent a little more for a 7800GT.

ziptrx said:
My current system I built when AMD XP first came out and with the new changes I'm becoming lost. Especially when they are constant. I'm budgeting myself $1600 (with shipping), so any other suggestions and recommendations you can give will be helpful and grateful. So continue with the tips! ;)

Man with $1600 to spend you will have no problems building a quality system, even if the M2's start out pricier.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back