Advanced File Sharing in XP Home

vern

Dominus
Political Access
I remember a thread that showed you how to do this. I tried searching, but was unable to find it as well as in google. Can someone please direct me to the thread or an external site that teaches me how to do this.

As far as I'm aware its not possible. It was not XP home's intention to offer advaned networking and performance and configuration options. Thats where XP Pro comes in.and that costs over $100 more. Eitherway you get fleeced.

Note: This tweak is only available for Windows XP Professional Edition, due to restrictions users of the XP Home Edition are not able to access NFTS permissions through the GUI.

I don't know what I was smoking, but I swear I saw a sticky in one of the forums here that showed you how to do this.

You can edit NTFS file permissions in safemode on XP Home, but you cannot disable network authentication via the guest acount.

j79zlr said:
You can edit NTFS file permissions in safemode on XP Home, but you cannot disable network authentication via the guest acount.

Out of the scope of my question. I just want the security tab.

Here you are vern, as j79 intoned....

NTFS must be your file system, this will not work with a FAT file system. To enable "Advanced" security permissions in XP Home simply boot into safe mode, rt-click any file or folder, and now you will have the "Security" tab - just as in XP Pro! Simply make your changes and reboot into normal mode. This is very useful when you have 'limited' users on your computer and they are unable to run certain applications as a limited user - you can simply boot into safe mode, change the permissions according to each user, and reboot! The advanced tab is even there that will give you even more permission options such as inheritance, etc.

Alternatively,

Although it is a little less intuitive, you can simply go to your command prompt - Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt. Now type "cacls" in the window (without the quotes). This gives you the ability to add, remove or modify file permissions on files and folders through the command prompt. Type "cacls /?" for help on different options and variables. You do not need to be in safe mode to use this so it makes it a little quicker than using the safe mode security tab GUI.

Remember - this only applies to NTFS.

**** JACKED from TweakXP.com

^ Thanks that is the answer I was looking for.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back