ADSL - Router - Switch - Router (AP)

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I posted a lengthy thread about this before, but here is what my main question boils down to...

I have an ADSL modem, going to a Linksys BEFSR11 router, then to a Cisco switch. I don't want to remove the BEFSR11, but I wanted to add a WRT54G as a Wireless Access Point. Could I essentially, plug the WRT54G into the Cisco Switch, so that it pulls in a valid internal IP, to broadcast to clients?

Not used standalone switches before, but DSL modem routers do have built-in 4-port switches.. so I guess they should work in exactly the same way. My only concern is the routing facility of information. Not sure how what would work.

ming said:
Not used standalone switches before, but DSL modem routers do have built-in 4-port switches.. so I guess they should work in exactly the same way. My only concern is the routing facility of information. Not sure how what would work.

That's a good point. I believe all I would have to do is turn off DHCP on the WRT54G and then set static intranet information on that router so they can all communicate....

I know that the WRT54G allows you to choose whether to use it as a router or as a gateway (in addtion acting as DHCP server), so you may want to try out that option too. :)

Indeed.

Pain in the a$$ about all this is I don't have access to the environment for testing, until I implement it :(

I may toss it on my home network, test the feature set with DHCP turned off and set as a gateway.

As you can see my network is somewhat setup as you described:

http://www.michaelsoft.gotdns.com/other/My_Network.jpg

All you need to do it uplink the 2 routers, skip the WAN ip address and set the LAN side (for the setup) to something different.

Also, like you said, disable DHCP on the wifi router.

EDIT: This thread came up as unread for me, odd. Since its DEC2.

Log into the new router and set your wireless settings, then change the LAN IP to 192.168.1.2, then disable DHCP, then plug the LAN cable into a PC port NOT THE INTERNET PORT, power cycle, connect and your done. The PC will get its DHCP from the top level router. Basicly you are turning the router into a switch.

Best O' Luck and Merry Christmas

Argh, I really need to check on this. The router has been on my desk for weeks :s

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll try to get to it soon and post back :)

WoW, now im confused as to who needed help, wasnt kcnychief the original poster? Admiral Michael says yes its working? Do you guys know each other?

either way i would have help and i currently have a setup similar to when he described.

Oops :s

Sorry, thought I had posted back. Everything is working, thanks to all :)

can I just ask if any firmware updating to the Linksys was involved? (I have the same model, although it is presently shelfware because Lord prefers our DLINK with modem built in, keeps a mains socket free too ;) )

Nah, no firmware was touched. All I did was turn off DHCP on the router, and everything worked like a champ ;)

Just took me forever to get to it, I need a class on time management :p

kcnychief said:
N... I need a class on time management :p

Highly doubt that... You're a newly wed, right? Sounds to me like you have your priorities straight for time management! :p (and don't you forget it, probly one of the "secrets" to a long(er) and happy(er) relationship is always making the time for the other.... But sounds like you know that OK!

I had a few problems with my routers crashing due to new firmware. Once I would a version of firmware that didn't crash I left it.

Only update if you need to fix or add a feature.

My gateway router has a version of firmware that doesn't support WPA but I don't want to flash it to one that does because it's been working excellent for so long anbd I don't want to mess it up.

Looks like it's 64but WEP and MAC filtering for me.

Ewww, you should at least use 128-bit WEP if you have to go that low...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back