ADSL Broadband Information Please

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hey There

From yesterday according to the little section on the BT website they now say that broadband Internet is now available at speeds up to 1mbit.
What is exactly involved with this? Do they need to run a second line or is it split from your main line (as cable is)?
Also if you just use a splitter off from the phone line does this have to be done at the main box or can it be done from an extension?

Cheers

I don't necessarily know since I'm more of a software tech than a hardware tech, but I always thought that they control it from their end - if you sign up for the 1MBit connection they will just increase your capacity to download / upload data at their end.

I use their standard broadband connection - and that is 512kb through a standard ASDL modem. I am sure it could cope with the extra 52k when you download things through the same modem / setup without needing another cable. I could be wrong though :)

Sorry Dublex that was not really what I was asking
I dont have broadband fitted at all and wanted to know what was involved with fitting it

They flick a switch, voilla. Your phone line is now DSL enabled.

All you need to do it put a splitter/filter into each socket which has either a telephone or modem connected to it (or other device, of course) which will split the line singal into two parts, one for the net, and one for voice/audio/fax/analog.

Not much really.
All you actually need to do is plug the microfilter and modem into the wall.
Its all done at the exchange by BT.
Just DO NOT go for BT openworld or BT Yahoo.
They are simply crap :D
I use eclipse ADSL.

Hmmm we have alot of extensions at home as in 6 (and a line amplifier to encrease ren capacity (number of phones supported))
Would we need a spiltter for each extension?

Yup, need one for every extension, they reset your line amplification because its a digital line!

Skazzy

hey skazzy not heard from you in a while!

The amp is a unit we had to buy which hooks in the phone wire and plugs into the mains to give you that extra juice. So would this would no longer work then?
A
lso I looked at eclipse broadband website and their flex service does not seem what I would like plus there is a lot of setup charges etc. I was Just thinking of the BT Yahoo 1mbit service is this strongly not recommended then?

Its just pretty much anything with "BT" in it is bad.
Check out www.adslguide.org.uk
Lots of usefull info for you there. Pipex seem to be not too bad and no setup.
I like the thought of flex because the only time I ever really need 1mb is when I am downloading something urgently. Otherwise I cant justify the extra £10.
Its good though if you have say a couple of machines accessing the net at once.

I'm told, here at work, that I could improve my connection...

They simply enable a large amount of data to pass through

ADSL has max limits of 9mb down and 6mb up I think, depending on your distance from the exchange of course, but as BT own the monopoly and the wires they have capped it at a 256kb/s upload speed and a max download of 2mbit/s download, though they oddly dont offer 2mbit adsl :s

Cheers for that site Zerohour just been reading up and it does seem that I am going to get stung for splitters (for each phone extension) although I dont know how the amp will come into play

BT Have been doing a nationwide upgrade to Broadband lines since May July this year.
All lines within 5 kilometres of an exchange have/will be upgraded to 1Mbps and 2 mbps, although the spec was that this had already been the case !

Mind you I am 400 yds from there and was only upgraded 3 months ago !

This allowed me to take advantage of Wanadoo 1Mbps for £17.99 per month....seems the best deal in U.K.

Electronic Punk said:
I'm told, here at work, that I could improve my connection...

:eek:

That SLOW!!! OMG you could really use a internet connection accelerator, next time teh one form AOL comes up just click on it.:D

Tweakfiend said:
BT Have been doing a nationwide upgrade to Broadband lines since May July this year.
All lines within 5 kilometres of an exchange have/will be upgraded to 1Mbps and 2 mbps, although the spec was that this had already been the case !

Mind you I am 400 yds from there and was only upgraded 3 months ago !

This allowed me to take advantage of Wanadoo 1Mbps for £17.99 per month....seems the best deal in U.K.
1mb for £17.99/mo, I'm guessing that's with a monthly limit, right?

1 day's torrent'ing the limit for the month. I'll pass on that one then :p

SPeedY_B said:
1 day's torrent'ing the limit for the month. I'll pass on that one then :p

Yeah right mate :D
The next one up is about £22 for a 6gb limit then £27.99 for 30gb.
Also the limits have not been actioned yet so you could download a bit more the it states, but they will put it on in the new year.

I'm more than content using a real isp without limits at the moment, admitedly it costs a bit more, but it's worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back