Ads coming to dashboard? (360)

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political Access
saw this article over at Kotaku. Might front page it after they get an update.

http://kotaku.com/5305087/ads-coming-to-xbox-360-dashboard

Sean Alexander, director at Microsoft's Advertising Business Group, has suggested that you could soon be seeing advertisements every time you fire up your 360 dashboard. Apparently, Microsoft "plans to bring IAB specifications for rich media technologies, including Silverlight, to Xbox Live within the year". With Silverlight being Microsoft's version of/competitor to Flash, MediaPost say "Silverlight-powered media on Xbox will have the same appearance as ads seen on a Web browser".
Since the goal is for advertising companies to launch the same campaign across multiple platforms - desktop, TV, mobile phone and Surface (Microsoft's touch-screen table) - it sounds a lot like the tech would be used on the 360 to display ads on your dashboard. And not the gaming ads you already see. Regular ads.
This had better only be for Silver users. I'm not paying an annual fee to get stuck with ads.
We've contacted Microsoft for an explanation of how exactly this tech will be used with Xbox Live, and will update if we hear anything.

Somehow I also felt sony would be the first to make this move, though thats all playstation home is.

Isn't it already enough that we pay for Gold subscriptions, now we have to pay for ads too? :tired:

thats really to bad. being forced to pay to playing games online then being forced to see ads is BS

At first I was like alright? Who cares, ads are everywhere. Then remembered I pay for a subscription, yea that's not right.

Nothing is for sure yet, but I am sure they will be offering some sort of compensation for this. Something like the last.fm comes to mind.

what the experience of pissing off your customers ?

they never said who it enhances the experience for :D

Enhances the experience for ad companies. Ca-ching $$$!

eh it sucks ... but seriously ... how many of you are on the dashboard long enough to even notice ads (yes there are ads on there now) ... instead of playing games or watching a video?

Not to mention that we don't even know what these ads are going to be like. As long as it isn't intrusive ... why would anyone even care?

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back