Admin Account - kids changing

S

Sir_Tony

I have a LAN with 3 PC's
I was the administrator on all of them
My kids were on Limited accounts
One of my kids has changed my status to Limited and made himself the adminstrator - password protected

1... HOW ?????
2....(once i know how i can do same) How do I prevent?

:mad: :confused:

ground the kid till they fix it and teaches you thier evil ways hehe or figure out the new PW and then reset your self as administrator and so on and password protect your own acct at all times
in xp goto control panel then Users and look there to set the password
then be mean and install every single thing like
Cyber Patrol Bess and all those ones to stop bad websites on thier user hehe

........ ok dont do last part lol

If I goto Control Panel..... Users..... I can't do anything
I can do Format c: / u but is a bit drastic......
My account was password protected.... and no way they worked it out...... so something is screwed in XP and my kids found it!!!!!
(smart Bast****)

Did you by any chance set an Adminstrator password during the initial setup of XP, this account is still accessible during logon by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL twice, maybe they got in that way. I use Group Policy to block access to all of the items they don't need or I don't want them to have access to.

what a clever kid. if he can figure out how do to that, then i say he should stay administrator.

I was reading somewere about a boot disk you can make for XP that will reset all passwords and then you can get control back. has any one eles seen this?

What Cooch said about the Admin account was right - this is probably how your kids got in, it most likely has no password.
Log off all accounts, and when you are back on the log in menu - hit CTRL + ALT + DEL - change user to admninstrator with no password and see if this works.

If it does - you need to close that back door by giving the Administrato a password.

Hope that helps :)

P.S I really like the comment by DrMetallica :)

Thanks for the wise cracks guys.....LOL
I invoked the "Disable the kids" policy. (Took the keyboards away).
I have now re-gained access including the Administrators account and made some access policy changes.

Let them try again now.

Latest news - The get in via F8 and manage to change the accounts.

How do I change NTLDR to disable the F8 key?

What exactly do they do once they press f8? There are multiple options.

They use safemode to log on. Have not quiet worked out how they can reset passwords.they wont tell me....LOL, but they can. I always find the GUEST account has also been enabled next time I logon.

If they use Safe Mode most likely the logged on with the default Administrator account, which unless specified it has a blank password, try this log off from your system, at the Welcome screen were all the user accounts are located press Control-Alt Del keys twice type in Administrator as your account and leave the password blank, if you are able to get in then this is the account they used to get in. In safe mode this account is visible as well as the other accounts. To change this administrator password for Win XP Pro right click on My Computer and select Manage or at the run command type compmgmt.msc, for Win XP Home type control userpasswords2 at the run command, hope this helps.

Originally posted by chooch
ERD Commander from Winternals, but it is not free, here is the

1st off...everything is free my man :D

and secondly....obviously ur kids used f8...but here is the easiest way in(if u r his kid and are reading this..go to hell :p )

all passwords are stored on the system in files(i think in xp they r still .pwll's but i cood be rong), so all ur kids had to do was find a decrypter for the file type(WIDELY AVAILABLE....my friend and i got skool'z admin password in 1 hour...including DLing the various decrypters b4 one worked)...sooo

what you have to do is find where the .pwl(or whatever xp uses....)files are kept and password protect that folder as well.....

there

i have now given 2 instruction manuals at once...lol

how to hack any system know to man, and how to keep them from being hacked....

so...whoever gets there first wins..lol

"A race! a race!....i hope i win!"
"right now mr. anderson is winning because he is CLESEST TO THE DOOR!"

XP pw's are stored in the SAM not pwl, and they're a little harder to crack than win98 pwl files :p

lol...but, it requires merely time..so, u run the cracker, and leave it on over night.....simple

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back