• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

adding to raid0

trainmaster77

Political User
as you can see in my sig .. i have 2 raptors ... i wanna add a couple more ..can i do this with my existing raid0 setup or do i have to wipe everything clean and start over.

Son Goku

No lover of dogma
Raid 0 is data striping as I remember. I'm thinking you'd have to wipe everything, so that it can stripe accross all drives.

If however, you want to setup a seperate RAID array (independing from the one you have setup already) it, of course wouldn't be necessary...

There might be some tool one would know of, but if it were to effectively stripe accross more drives, the trick is that the given location of each stripe in the volume would have to change.

AKA, you have currently

(stripe for disk 1), (stripe for disk 2), (stripe for disk 1), etc...

You'd want to change it, so that it would stripe accross all (4?) drives, before creating a new stripe on disk 1...

BTW, it took awhile to find something on this, but this is what someone was saying elsewhere on this:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11190-0.html?forumID=46&threadID=172785&start=0&tag=search

trainmaster77

Political User
Son Goku said:
Raid 0 is data striping as I remember. I'm thinking you'd have to wipe everything, so that it can stripe accross all drives.

If however, you want to setup a seperate RAID array (independing from the one you have setup already) it, of course wouldn't be necessary...

There might be some tool one would know of, but if it were to effectively stripe accross more drives, the trick is that the given location of each stripe in the volume would have to change.

AKA, you have currently

(stripe for disk 1), (stripe for disk 2), (stripe for disk 1), etc...

You'd want to change it, so that it would stripe accross all (4?) drives, before creating a new stripe on disk 1...

BTW, it took awhile to find something on this, but this is what someone was saying elsewhere on this:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11190-0.html?forumID=46&threadID=172785&start=0&tag=search
thank you ... that makes sense to back everything up and recreate the array with 4 drives then reload the backup on all 4.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evaiwhitis