adding to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host"

dubstar

format c:
if i add an IP to this file, what happens? I'm trying to get a private Lineage 2 game going and the site is asking me to do this..

"After you have installed the C3 Client, check for any updates using the auto-updater.

After the update is complete you have only one thing left to do! You must go to your c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ folder. In there is a file named \"hosts\", without the quotes. Open it with a text editor such as notepad. And add the following line at the bottom:
62.234.162.148 L2authd.lineage2.com"

is this ok to do?

i would guess its ok, all it does is doesnt go to whatever u put into that file, and i saw something like that for my friends pcphone prog with ips before its domain and it still works fine

The hosts file is referenced first by Windows to do name resolution (before your ISP's name servers are queried)...i.e. to turn L2authd.lineage2.com into 62.234.162.148. All web sites are referenced by an IP address...the name is simply to make it human-friendly.

Apparently the host "L2authd.lineage2.com" doesn't really exist on the internet, therefore they want you to resolve the name locally to the IP address ... hence their instructions.

dubstar said:
if i add an IP to this file, what happens? I'm trying to get a private Lineage 2 game going and the site is asking me to do this..

"After you have installed the C3 Client, check for any updates using the auto-updater.

After the update is complete you have only one thing left to do! You must go to your c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ folder. In there is a file named \"hosts\", without the quotes. Open it with a text editor such as notepad. And add the following line at the bottom:
62.234.162.148 L2authd.lineage2.com"

is this ok to do?

This works fine, and in agreement with everyone else on the fuction. I have even seen viruses that perform the following...

127.0.0.1 windowsupdate.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 liveupdate.symantec.com

Anyways, to make a long story short, they take EVERY useful site for clearing the virus, and send it to the loopback. That mofo is a tough one to kill...

vern said:
Apparently the host "L2authd.lineage2.com" doesn't really exist on the internet, therefore they want you to resolve the name locally to the IP address ... hence their instructions.

nslookup for me shows L2authd.lineage2.com lives at 206.127.151.66

It seems odd that they would ask everyone to change their host file instead of just changing their DNS.

Is it possible that someone is trying to point you to a scam page?

ThePatriot said:
The hosts file is referenced first by Windows to do name resolution (before your ISP's name servers are queried)...i.e. to turn L2authd.lineage2.com into 62.234.162.148. All web sites are referenced by an IP address...the name is simply to make it human-friendly.

turn it into? huh?

It's a pointer.

mrowton said:
nslookup for me shows L2authd.lineage2.com lives at 206.127.151.66

It seems odd that they would ask everyone to change their host file instead of just changing their DNS.

Is it possible that someone is trying to point you to a scam page?

the software is retail but some guys got the server specs and turned a huge MMORPG in to a private server (free) MMORPG.

i got it working though. thanks for your help guys

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back