adding more Rdram?

Octopus

OSNN Veteran Addict
I don't know wether my current ram is good or not here is the information.I need more ram but don't know what to do!I have 256 and I am about to upgrade it to 512...what do you think?

Memory Module Properties
Module Name Samsung MR16R 0824BN1-CK8
Serial Number 260840758
Module Size 64 MB (4 devices, 32 banks)
Module Type RIMM Module
Memory Type RDRAM
Memory Speed PC800 (400 MHz)
Module Width 16 bit
Module Voltage 2.5 V

Memory Module Features
HeatSpreader Present
Thermal Sensor Not Present

Memory Module Manufacturer
Company Name Samsung

if you have 256mb right now, then you will need 2 stick of 128mb to upgrade to 512. remember rambus ram only works in pairs, you cant just buy 1 stick of 256 to upgrade to 512, it dont work that way.

if you are a hardcore game 512mb should be enough, you dont need more than that.

so you're suggesting that I keep 2 sticks of 64MB and buy two 128MB sticks which gives 512.how about taking out two 64mb and then adding 512? so it will be 64+64+512=640
thanks in advance

if you have enough slot, just keep the 2x 64mb and then just add 2x 256mb. If you thinking of upgrading to faster ram, like PC1066 then u cant use the 2x 64mb which is pc800.

i got 2X 256 PC800 RIMMS for sale, make me a decent offer on them by PM if ur in the UK :cool:

I am not in the uk.
I will buy one stick 512 and drop the 4 sticks in the garbage.

What about this>

Originally posted by FoSsiL
if you have 256mb right now, then you will need 2 stick of 128mb to upgrade to 512. remember rambus ram only works in pairs, you cant just buy 1 stick of 256 to upgrade to 512, it dont work that way.

Isn't RDRAM same as rambus?

Cause if it is I have just one stick of 128 meg in my computer at work and its been working that way for 3 years...

maybe u have been confused with SDRAM or DDR, but RDRAM only work in pairs. Maybe u should check ur ram slot again.

Originally posted by LeeJend
Isn't RDRAM same as rambus?

Cause if it is I have just one stick of 128 meg in my computer at work and its been working that way for 3 years...
afaik, rdram hasn't been around for 3 years.

I don't get it...are you saying one stick of 512 rdram won't work?
my motherboard doesn't support DDR

lol... i think hipster and fossil are both trying to tell you... rdram sticks only work in pairs! so you'd need to get 2x256mb if you wanted 512mb more.

We can only try. :D

Get your motherboard manual out & have a read of the memory section. That will tell you what you need to know.

It's an IBM brand P3-633 based PC. Says rambus on the case and has one stick of ram labeled rambus in one slot and a blank terminator stick in the second slot and its close to 3 years old maybe 2.5 ...

hmm...this is..different..i thought they only worked in pairs....r you sure its RD ram?..p3's dont use RD ram do they?..only' P4's..

some P3's used RDRAM and they did not always have to be installed in pairs

New 232-pin 32-bit RAMBUS does not require pairs

maybe because the p3 dont u utilizes the full bus speed of the rambus and that the ram probably act if it was pc-133. dunno, sure you have RDRAM or maybe you got rip off form one of those hindo shops.

j79zlr like u said these are the new 232 pin chips that dont require pairs...his is 3 yrs old isn't it?.. anddd i dont think RD ram would even fit in the slots for sd ram

Ok, I raised enough questions, I'll crawl under my desk at work tomorrow and get the details on the MB and Ram stick. It is rambus though.

Wait a sec... I thought I read somewhere RAMBUS had to be installed in pairs or you could use one stick of mem and use a "blank" RIMM to make a pair? The blank has no mem value, it's just there to fill the other slot when using one stick. It's easier to visualize this if you look at a pair of RDRAM slots as a series circuit I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back