adding more Rdram?

I opened my PC at work. It is an IBM model PC 300PL 6594. It uses 800 mHz RIMM modules made by Samsung.

The MB has 2 RIMM sockets. One socket has a 128M RIMM module the other has a RIMM bus terminator which the IBM web site says is required unless you use 2 RIMM modules.

Looks like it is at most motherboard dependent on using odd numbers of RIMM. The 2 stick requirement may have grown up as an urban legend since you have to use a terminator with just one stick.

i.e. You have to use 2 sticks or one stick and a terminator became you need 2 sticks.

Now that tahts all straight. BUY DDR ITS CHEAPER!

Originally posted by LeeJend
Now that tahts all straight. BUY DDR ITS CHEAPER!
:D
after all that, you had to throw that out there. though it is true, i think poor octopus simply wants to add ram to his system. :p

After all the discussion the best advice we can give is bet a new MB with DDR on it because I'm so confused now I'll never look at RIMM's again...

Its not that confusing really. Right now he has something like:

Slot1: 128MB RDRAM
Slot2: RIMM Terminator
Slot3: --nothing--
Slot4: --nothing--

The easiest way to make this system have 512MB would be to do one the following options.

1 - Remove the 128MB stick and put in a 512MB stick and use the terminator in the other slot like so:

Slot1: 512MB RDRAM

2 - Or get two 256MB sticks. Then use the terminator along with the other 128MB stick like so:

Slot1: 256MB RDRAM
Slot2: 256MB RDRAM
Slot3: 128MB RDRAM
Slot4: RIMM Terminator

3 - Or, get a 512MB stick AND another terminator like so:

Maybe someone can answer this for sure but I don't think you can do the following arrangement:

Slot2: 128MB RDRAM

Memory is a bit foggy, but wayyy back in the 386-486 days, wasn't there a memory that worked like this (had to be used in pairs)? Might have even been during the first Pentium years.

Originally posted by scriptasylum
Memory is a bit foggy, but wayyy back in the 386-486 days, wasn't there a memory that worked like this (had to be used in pairs)? Might have even been during the first Pentium years.
i think EDO was like that..?

Back in the 30 pin Simm days you had to have it like.
SIMM 0 8Mb
SIMM 1 16Mb

There were no terminators but there were JUMPERS you had to set to use the RAM. (PARITY, FAST PAGE)

Still the case on some motherboards during the 72 pin SIMMS (EDO,FAST PAGE, PARITY) and fast page were the fastest 50-60ns.

Now this remindes me more of SCSI 1 you had to use terminators on that:blink:

Originally posted by scriptasylum
Its not that confusing really. Right now he has something like:

The easiest way to make this system have 512MB would be to do one the following options.

1 - Remove the 128MB stick and put in a 512MB stick and use the terminator in the other slot like so:

2 - Or get two 256MB sticks. Then use the terminator along with the other 128MB stick like so:

Slot1: 256MB RDRAM
Slot2: 256MB RDRAM

3 - Or, get a 512MB stick AND another terminator like so:

Maybe someone can answer this for sure but I don't think you can do the following arrangement:

Slot2: 128MB RDRAM

Those cofig's might work depending on the mobo. Actually only really one will as from my dealings with RDram and more then two RIMM slots is you have to use both sets of slots with same capatcy of ram ie

Slot2: --CRIMM--

Slot2: --CRIMM--
Slot4: --CRIMM--

Hmmm, Chastity do you think this will work
Slot1 : 64MB RDRAM
Slot2 : 64 MB RDRAM
Slot3 : 128 MB RDRAM
Slot4 : --CRIMM--

?

hey guys i wannna know if your motherboard dont support RDRAM with ECC, will the ram still work and will i be able to use the rambus without ECC? because my mobo only support RDRAM Non-ECC

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back