Adding memory and getting none??

Zedric

NTFS Guru
I have a slightly strange problem with an Abit BD7II-RAID mobo. It has three memory slots and supports up to 2 GB RAM. I now has 1 GB RAM (2x512). When I add a third 512 module (to get 1.5 GB) the computer still reports only 1 GB total. If I swap all the memory around in all combinations I still get 1 GB total. What's going on? What am I missing?

The memory is DDR2100 btw.

Is it the same brand and all that as the current sick(s) have? If not then that might be your problem

TittleBitties said:
Is it the same brand and all that as the current sick(s) have? If not then that might be your problem
should make a difference.. i've had different brands, even had one with ECC and one without.... they both worked.

Update your bios, half the time it can support it, but only with a bios update.

ming: It's not bad as it works in any pair combination out of the three memory modules, just not all three.

TittleBitties: I'll check the brand, it's most likely all Twinmos but I'm unsure (and I don't have the computer here right now).

toretto: Good point, I'll try that.

Is the slot itself working? It might not be the RAM - it could be something to do with the memory slot itself. Unlikely but its worth a shot.

i'm not sure about this, but if your current 1GB (2x512) is set to use dual channel, it may ignore a stick that is unpaired.

I was going to say the same as ohzopants, check your bios or switch settings on your motherboard and check that dual channel is not enabled if in fact you have it, if so it will only recognize two sticks, although i doubt a three dimm slotted mobo would have dual channel

The slot is fine since combinations 1-2, 1-3, 2-3 work (as far as I know, will double check). The board does not support dual channel.

toretto said:
Update your bios, half the time it can support it, but only with a bios update.

this is generally the best thing to do...

Did you try running with only the new memory and see if it works first?

Just checked the manual on my Abit BE7-Raid, and its the same setup I have as you at present (2Gb max). The only thing in it I can see is that it says DIMM2 & DIMM3 are sharing - so im not sure what that signifies when all 3 slots are full. Unfortunately I don't have a spare stick of memeory, or else I
would stick it in and check for you.

Hope u resolve it

Vern: Yes, it works

tibboh: Yes I saw that too. I have no idea what it means or where to find the explaination. Just using slots 2 and 3 still works the same as 1 and 2...

The computer was needed elsewhere so I haven't been able to experiment anymore, but bios update is nexxt on the list.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back