Add/Remove Programs

electrickpirate

pirate extraordinaire
was wondering, i have a couple of entires in my add/remove programs list that give an error when i try to remove them, it wont remove their entry in the list. is there a file that contains the names that i could edit out the programs that are gone but still show up? or instead of editing them out is there a program that can remove them?

i put this here cuz add/remove an OS thing, not an independant 3rd party program. if this belongs somewhere else, sorry.

Actually there is a way to remove programs from the add/remove list .. I just forget how. Someone wiser will be able to help though I'm sure. :)

-edit- Found this. Will continue to look. Here is how right from MS mouth .

ok, got it! thanks. i had a few entries that would drive me crazy everytime i opened add/remove. theyre gone now! thanks Xie. much appreciated.

electrickpirate said:
ok, got it! thanks. i had a few entries that would drive me crazy everytime i opened add/remove. theyre gone now! thanks Xie. much appreciated.
np glad to help :)

Or if you feel comfortable enough mucking around your registry, you can remove the entries from there...

Insert standard disclaimer about messing with your registry. Basically, Don't do it unless you know what you are doing!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall is the master key that holds all the information that the add/remove programs GUI reads.

Be aware that with the advent of the Windows Installer service, it produces GUID keys like {09715083-BF10-4834-9E28-B5D8820513CA} (for VMWare GSX server for instance). If you look within the key, it will have a value called "Display Name" where you can determine what the application is associated with that GUID key.

Simply delete the necessary keys and it will remove it from your list of programs in the add/remove programs list.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back