Add-on PlayStation 3 HDD will run Linux

tdinc

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Confirmed

Ken Kutaragi reveals the console's hard drive will use alternate OS, hints that it will ship separately and will come in more than one model.

read more here>>gamespot

yum, i like the sounds of that. In fact, i love the way he has delivered this product so far. I am really going to have to wait and see about these "machines" when they are released. At present i am pushed towards the 360 but with more that i am reading about PS3 the more im liking it... still not to keen on the design though :s

Nice that they tell you up front it's not a gaming console and instead of "super computer". I don't understand the bash of Nintendo who is sticking to the gaming consoles play games only way of things. If I wanted a media center I would buy/build a computer, if I wanted a game console I would buy a game console, not a "super computer". The fact that the PS3 will someone run a Linux OS for show is enough to turn me off. :) What happend to gaming?

Xie said:
Nice that they tell you up front it's not a gaming console and instead of "super computer". I don't understand the bash of Nintendo who is sticking to the gaming consoles play games only way of things. If I wanted a media center I would buy/build a computer, if I wanted a game console I would buy a game console, not a "super computer". The fact that the PS3 will someone run a Linux OS for show is enough to turn me off. :) What happend to gaming?

Here we go again :p

Xie said:
Grandmaster said:
Here we go again :p
Seriously man...this is getting old.
yawn.gif

SoapBoxFight.jpg

I would like to apologize for posting in these threads. :(

Anyhoo I do find it interesting they are going to get a Linux distro on the HD. I did find it rather confusing though. They stated they will have a drive bay and won't be including a HD with the console as anything they put would be to small. Does this mean they are going to be selling HD's seperate and you'll be able to choose your size w/ Linux pre-installed? If so how much extra are they going to tack onto the price of these HD's? Also will they be making public the distro for folks that would like to install it on a HD they already have? Will that be possible?

Xie said:

Anyhoo I do find it interesting they are going to get a Linux distro on the HD. I did find it rather confusing though. They stated they will have a drive bay and won't be including a HD with the console as anything they put would be to small. Does this mean they are going to be selling HD's seperate and you'll be able to choose your size w/ Linux pre-installed? If so how much extra are they going to tack onto the price of these HD's? Also will they be making public the distro for folks that would like to install it on a HD they already have? Will that be possible?

The answers to these questions and more after this short clip of EP dancing the night away :lick:

dancing_ep.gif

Last edited:
Xie said:

It seems like Sony still hasn't decided...first they say they aren't sure about including a HD, and now with this they want to include a Linux distro which means they will probably need to include the HD. In the end, they'll probably choose whatever costs the least to make...

Sounds interesting. I wonder how it will stack up to top-of-the-line PCs in benchmark tests?

Melon

Grandmaster said:
It seems like Sony still hasn't decided...first they say they aren't sure about including a HD, and now with this they want to include a Linux distro which means they will probably need to include the HD. In the end, they'll probably choose whatever costs the least to make...
Well including it would drive up console cost, touchy as it's already going to be a "loss leader". Having folks buy it secound hand will most likely make it prices a bit more then your run of the mill HD on the store shelf as they will use it to recover some of the cost they are losing on the console, I would assume anyways. I'm a bit interested what distro they will be porting to the cell, and who will be doing the porting?

No big surprise here since there's a Linux add-on for PS2. Also, a lot of computerized device can have a linux based os.. like iPod, pocketpc, cellphone and more.

The thing is (for me), how useful will this add-on be ? Beside beeing cool to see Kutaragi's interest in Linux.. if it cannot add functionnalities or even a remplacement for the Sony PS3 console manager (whatever it is called).. well i'll save the hundred bucks.

i have a pencil that runs linux... god its bi*chy... hehe i think its cool but i have a computer for a "supercomputer" all i would want in a gamig machine is a cheap gaming machine hehe. =

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back