add a second video card

OSNN Junior Addict
PC: Dell optiplex gx260 / winXP Pro

1. onboard video card - Intel 82845g/gl/ge/pe/gv graphics controller
2. AGP video card - ATI rage 128pro ultra GL

Only the AGP video card is installed after installing XP Pro from a scratch . The onboard card is not even listed under the device manager nor unknown device.
If I pull the AGP out of its slot, the onboard card would be recognized and installed. Put back in the AGP, then the onboard card disappears under the device manager.

I checked the bios and found the following settings that could relate to video card:
- primary video controller..........auto
- video dac snoop ...................off
- onboard video buffer..............8mb

I changed the primary video controller to AGP/onboard but still the same.

Last edited:
What was the question?

You want both to be present? its not going to happen its one or the other this is normal .

yes, I want to use 2 monitors simultaneously.
you're wrong... I've seen it, they can be both present.

No I am not wrong , you can have a card with 2 outputs and you can have 2 cards one AGP and one PCI even .. but you wont get that with on board as soon as you add a card it cuts off the signal to the on board ..

i'd have to agree.. I don't believe you can use use the onboard as a 2nd video card.

I will reiterate as well, you cant use both onboard video and a video card at the same time. Regardless if its PCI, AGP, PCI-E. Your best bet is to just buy a video card that works with your system that has dual heads.

No I am not wrong , you can have a card with 2 outputs and you can have 2 cards one AGP and one PCI even .. but you wont get that with on board as soon as you add a card it cuts off the signal to the on board ..
My bad, that was it :laugh:...my friend have PCI & AGP video cards installed not onboard.
thank you McNb

i'd have to agree.. I don't believe you can use use the onboard as a 2nd video card.
you think you know everything?????? I don't believe you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then how did I use the onboard and PCI video card at the same time?
It was an old IBM Aptiva, 350 mhz. I put a 16 meg Voodoo card in it as an upgrade and then took it to work where we had a few monitors on the desks so I had the idea of plugging on both to see what happened and it worked. I'v been using multiple monitors since then. Although I got rid of that IBM many years ago.
Maybe things have changed since.
Matt

Not sure how you did that, but my personal experience has been that as soon as we add a card the onboard cuts out, but something old like that IBM maybe that was an option back then ...but they figured hey lets make them pay for a second card :laugh:

The newer MB's autodetect and default to the Bios settings. I have not seen one that allows "both". It's usually auto, MB, or AGP.

Using a "PCI" on board and a "PCI add in" might work. It's just a question of if the Bios and drivers can handle the interrupts. Having a common vendor would help (intell/intel, ati/ati).

I don't think AGP supports two GPU's so if the MB is AGP, a PCI card might work.

I have a pcchips MB with built in video and a spare video card sitting here in front of me, but man that sounds like work... Maybe latter.

Update:
The PC CHips MB would not recognize the on board video (AGP) if a PCI was plugged in and the bios offered no options for video source selection.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back